Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the sticky for the other fuel pump install (SVT) but none for the SPI. I've seen a few threads mention about the special ford tool vaguely and some stuff about cutting tabs(?) Anyone have anything concrete-it seems it shouldn't be to far from the SVT install after jacking the car and looking around, but I don't want to screw it up terribly. The safety recall for mine went up in November and Id rather pay the 150 for the part then the 650 the dealer wants, especially if the install isn't tat rough,just time consuming. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What I did to make it tons easier, was cut an access hole in the floor pan under the rear seat. I just took some tin snips and cut a 6x6 hole then did all the work from right there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds pretty nuts but seems worth a shot
any idea what the deal with the "Special tool" is that keeps getting mentioned?

·
Registered
250 Posts
sounds pretty nuts but seems worth a shot
any idea what the deal with the "Special tool" is that keeps getting mentioned?
i don't know what the name of that "special tool" would be but i can tell you the reason for it... the recall on the fuel pump changes the fuel pump to a newer style(the same that's used in the later year foci[eg around like the 03 or 04 year models])....which in turn changes the fuel pump sending unit.. (the entire basket ...[for lack of a better turn]... that new style pump/sending unit does not fit "correctly" in the fuel tank without a slight modification... that "special tool" is what ford used to "trim" the tabs on the fuel tank to allow the newer style pump/sending unit to fit in the tank there are ways to do it without that
special tool"...and im not sure if you can/cannot buy that tool...

and like norcal said id definitely go with that access hole as opposed to dropping the tank so much easier!...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks jrdy-yea in the svt sticky the guy mentioned cutting tabs,i just wasnt sure how complex it was and google and searches returned nothing on the tool name or anything
ill definitley look into the hole as well,especially after doing a previous fuel filter change and knowing how annoying that was. seems weird that its as simple as just cutting a hole

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any info on where exactly to cut? I know the general spot of the tank from changing the fuel filter and all, but dont wanna hack my seat apart in the wrong spot

·
Registered
16 Posts
Its the same on a SPI/SVT/Zetec/Duratech. The gas can sit in the same spot.

The only specail tool I can think of is the wrench to take the twist lock off the tank that holds the pump in. I just used a hammer and flat head screwdriver on the little tabs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the help,gonna give this a shot on the wekend,weather permitting. Ill try my best to document it all for the forum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts