Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on using an add a fuse circuit to install some interior Led's. I've searched for any fuse that would be hot when the ignition is turned on, and can't seem to find one. I've found plenty of the unused fuses, but those didn't work for me during the testing. I plan on wiring it up to a switch, and have the led's wired to the switch, so when I flip the switch, the lights go on/off. Not sure why I went into all that detail because it's very basic stuff, but oh well I did.

So, anybody know what fuse I can use to do this? I'd prefer it be an unused fuse. I've never messed with add a fuse's, so that's the reason I'm posting this, just looking for some information and any thing that I should be aware of going into this. Thanks!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
I did the same thing that you did. Bought an add a fuse to install LED's into my car. From what I read it didn't really matter what fuse you tied onto. But they recommend using a lower number fuse (amp wise?). I used a 7.5 and never had any issues with it. The hardest part it trying to find where to ground the negatives of the lights to.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
There is a slot you can use that is keyed on/off. I used it for some relays to keep the power outlets from always being on and draining the battery.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

I believe it's #33

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
There's two fuses there I believe. The original from 33 and a second for everything else on there.

Two relays, backlight for the boost gauge, and power for the wideband and sensor.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Advance Auto Parts or wherever - Fuse Tapper + 6 Slot Fuse Panel = Done Deal lol. Get those two, everyone else gave you the best information possible :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny that you post in this thread as I was going to be looking for it to remember what fuse to use tomorrow when I do some work. Thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used 33, which is the same Miztaken used. It got power to the switch and the power stopped when the car was turned off. The switch has an LED, so that's how I know the power stops. So now that I got that half working, I need to figure out how to get the power from the switch to the lights. I tried connecting what seemed like the most obvious way of doing so, but no power to those lights so far. I'll try again tomorrow or the following day.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Where are you running the LEDs?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the way I have it, the switch doesn't turn the lights on or off, it doesn't even work as a switch. It just lights up. I'm okay with that. It's on when the car is on and off when the car is off.

You can see the switch in front of Scoobs.

And yes, the shifter will go back to all black.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
How bright is that at night? Why wouldn't you want to actually be able to use the switch?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took this picture in my garage with no lights on and the sun down...

I did want to use the actual switch, but I just couldn't for the life of me figure out how to wire it properly. If I ever tear apart the interior again, maybe I'll give it another try.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Yeah that doesn't look bad at all actually. Not really bright but useful. All you should need is a ground for the switch. Since the positive ran to the add a fuse. If I remember correctly. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I thought the same. One wire is completely unused. I'm talking to Starfury to see what thoughts he may have on it, since he is the man who made it. I may see if that wire can be used for some other lighting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts