Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at buying an 01 Zetec Focus w/ Turbo Tom turbo kit installed
It doesn’t have AC, it had but was removed.
I’m getting quotes of $1000 plus or “just get a different car, it will be cheaper”

Anybody put AC on a Focus have any info that will help me please?

I want AC but don’t want to spend $1000 or rob it from my SVT Focus

Thanks
-Nick

·
Registered
124 Posts
That’s a parts and labor quote. A few parts can be salvage yard, the rest, condenser, lines, compressor, things of that nature I would buy new. I added ac to an old ford 6.9 idi, total parts was around 700ish ALL new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
963 Posts
$1000 for parts, labor, check/fix leaks and to charge the system sounds pretty reasonable. I wouldn't go with used/salvage parts for something like the compressor, b/c you don't know if it's got crap in it that's just going to grenade your system once you hook it up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
$1000 for parts, labor, check/fix leaks and to charge the system sounds pretty reasonable. I wouldn't go with used/salvage parts for something like the compressor, b/c you don't know if it's got crap in it that's just going to grenade your system once you hook it up.

Thought I explained it clearly, as used parts what I meant was controls, boxes, things of that nature. It sounds like he’s adding ac to a non-ac car. There is parts at salvage that are perfectly fine being used rather than end up being a ford only item. I also said the comp, lines, things of nature should be bought new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,311 Posts
If turbo is still on car and in the way of a/c components it won't happen. If some full race car nut went on a tear and removed EVERYTHING (say airbox under dash) it likely won't happen either.

If you got the skills and know what to look for, the compressor from junkyard can be one of the more dependable parts there and so can condenser. Even accumulator.

·
Registered
963 Posts
If you got the skills and know what to look for, the compressor from junkyard can be one of the more dependable parts there and so can condenser. Even accumulator.
A new compressor with warranty is $110 at Rockauto. I wouldn't go salvage here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If turbo is still on car and in the way of a/c components it won't happen. If some full race car nut went on a tear and removed EVERYTHING (say airbox under dash) it likely won't happen either.

Will find out tomorrow, going to look at/test drive. From what I know from seller it had AC stock but was removed, not sure if because of downpipe interference

Thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Will find out tomorrow, going to look at/test drive. From what I know from seller it had AC stock but was removed, not sure if because of downpipe interference

Thanks for the info guys
If this was oiginally an AC car and only the under hood parts were removed - condenser, dryer, compressor/clutch, hoses/lines/orifice tube, o-rings, belt - then you are only looking at about $300-$400 in parts (new). Figure $100-$150 to have the system properly evacuated and charged.

Paul

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I do decide to steal the AC parts from my 04 SVT Focus, would they bolt up?
They’re both Zetec

Then again if all the parts can be had for under $500 I should just go to RockAuto.com and order them
I’m confident in my ability to install them
Then I’ll just have to bring it to the shop for leak check and charge

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If I do decide to steal the AC parts from my 04 SVT Focus, would they bolt up?
They’re both Zetec

Then again if all the parts can be had for under $500 I should just go to RockAuto.com and order them
I’m confident in my ability to install them
Then I’ll just have to bring it to the shop for leak check and charge
Not sure about the SVT parts as Im not familiar with the specific parts on that vehicle but based on listings it should be the same.

In 2017 I completely overhauled the AC in my 2002 Zetec wagon. I replaced the compressor, condenser, dryer, one of the hoses, the orific tube, and all the o-ring seals and spring clamps. I bought all the parts from Rockauto. If you are going to purchase a new condenser a bit of caution on the ones made by Denso. The original one I ordered did not work because where the hoses/lines connect is not at the correct angle. I thought I just got a defective one and returned it and RA sent me another but it was the same. I ended up returning that one and got one made by APDI/PRO and had no issues.

Paul

·
Registered
16,311 Posts
'A new compressor with warranty is $110 at Rockauto. I wouldn't go salvage here.'

You guys need to trust in your skills more or get more of them. Done correctly you can use LOTS of those parts over, even things like condensers and accumulators that the automotive world screams no to. A lot of those cheaper brand new compressors are because they may not teflon coat the pistons nearly as well as the OEM ones are and the life of the part. Meaning the half dead OEM part will still outlast the cheaper crap Chinese part.

Take a scrapyard compressor. Rule #1 is to look closely at the oil in it, if clear and no black it's good. For YEARS yet, turn it by hand to back that up, it should compress when pressure accumulates against a finger blocking the pressure port. Turns smoothly. Remove the front faceplate (single bolt) and look at how much wear is on the clutch friction surfaces, I've found a brand new compressor with brand new clutch on it for $20 before. $90 right out of thin air there.

I'm still running the condenser on my wagon that was knocked out of flat in accident to be off by 3 inches, carefully gradually bent back to flat and using it today since '08. There was a deep cut in one tube that looked like a fail in 5 minutes, I cleared away finning from around the nick and epoxied the outer up after degreasing and then wound a small hose clamp around the entire tube to slightly tighten it while adding more epoxy, the clamp both strengthens the spot and holds the epoxy from ever possibly coming loose, it'll blow a leak somewhere else before it does at that spot. So new condenser for the price of the hose clamp, any shop would have junked that. I also had to reflat the ATX cooler too. Free again.

I haven't changed an accumulator or dryer since I learned (35 years ago) they aren't as necessary as a/c people will have you think either. I clean the orifices and throw them back in although those are super cheap, why throw away even a dollar? Yet I have zero issues with any a/c repair I do.

·
Registered
963 Posts
You guys need to trust in your skills more or get more of them. .
To each his own. I cheaped out years ago with a reman compressor, and the front seal gave out a week later, throwing oil all over the engine bay. I got to do all the work again. In this case, I'd have no problem dropping $110 on a new compressor.

·
Registered
16,311 Posts
You DO realize that the front seal on a NEW compressor can do the same thing right? The fact that it is new means the parts have not been proven out. After selling new, rebuilt and remanufactured (they'd like for you to think there is a massive difference there but often not) automotive of all types one figures that out. I rejected literally thousands of brand new Chinese (and other countries) stuff as soon as I opened the boxes.

Take a tip from the light aircraft industry.............used parts are often more desirable than new, they are often proven rock solid by being used already.

You just have to find the ones with LIGHT use. What I do in the scrapyards. Be aware though there are LOTS of things I never get in a scrapyard ever.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Depending on what needs to be reinstalled, it would be cheaper to buy the parts, and install yourself. Rent a vacuum pump, and then charge it yourself, or have s shop recharge it for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don’t know what parts are missing, damaged, etc...I do have a running, driving ‘03 SVT for sale. It’s more than the $1k you discussed, but it also has new tires, brakes and a complete, functioning air conditioning system. Just putting it out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts