Focus Fanatics Forum banner

141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I guess I'd still call 20-25 deg F a fairly narrow range. My caution is mostly based on people who have a valve thermostat that can be completely removed which completely circumvents regulation, and will cause harm from over-cooling under lower load conditions or ambient temperatures.

I do agree that lower cylinder temps have a lower chance of detonation. My Supra runs a slightly lower temperature thermostat, but more importantly, it runs a significantly upgraded radiator to help the thermostat regulate engine temperature, and not allow it to ramp up as much under heavy load.

My question would be that if in all cases, lower temperatures make the engine more reliable and more able to make more power... Why would Ford's (And Toyota, Honda, GM, Nissan, Volvo, Porche, etc etc etc) not just choose the lowest possible operating temperature thermostat and make that the standard?

·
FF Affiliate
30,370 Posts
I guess I'd still call 20-25 deg F a fairly narrow range. My caution is mostly based on people who have a valve thermostat that can be completely removed which completely circumvents regulation, and will cause harm from over-cooling under lower load conditions or ambient temperatures.
If you have a 180 deg thermostat and you get to 180 deg the thermostat will close to avoid the engine running to cool , the Focus , all year has a removable Thermostat , Most cases the engine runs 185 to 200 deg

I do agree that lower cylinder temps have a lower chance of detonation. My Supra runs a slightly lower temperature thermostat, but more importantly, it runs a significantly upgraded radiator to help the thermostat regulate engine temperature, and not allow it to ramp up as much under heavy load.
A new/larger Raid isnt really needed unless you cant keep the temps down with a stock Raid something we havent run into on the Focus even making over 700 whp

My question would be that if in all cases, lower temperatures make the engine more reliable and more able to make more power... Why would Ford's (And Toyota, Honda, GM, Nissan, Volvo, Porche, etc etc etc) not just choose the lowest possible operating temperature thermostat and make that the standard?
The Ford's (And Toyota, Honda, GM, Nissan, Volvo, Porche, etc etc etc) Have a set amount of time to fire off the CAT to pass emissions , if the CAT doesnt fire off they dont get the OK to manufacturer the engines , One of the ways to help pass the emission test is make the water temps in the 230-240 range which makes the combustion / Cyl temps hotter which fires the CAT sooner

Its all for emissions , if you look back to the days of small block Chevys 190 was hot , to hot , 200 deg you shut it off

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Super late response but I believe it will fit.

I'll be swapping out the tstat on my 18 this weekend. I will report back with any feedback and pictures if I can.

·
FF Affiliate
30,370 Posts
Wont do much good to change the thermostat to a 180 with out also lower the temp the fans come on at with a Custom Tune , I can help with that lol

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wont do much good to change the thermostat to a 180 with out also lower the temp the fans come on at with a Custom Tune , I can help with that lol

Tom
Lol Tom this is javier I’m sending you a data log once I change the Tstat and headers

141 - 147 of 147 Posts