Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Heater core? My engine temp is not high enough, odometer test shows not more than 150F*. Is the heater core related to engine temp???
I don't know what a MK2? MK1? dash looks like since you're posting in the MK3 sub-forum but the MK3's temp gauge doesn't reflect an accurate reading.

Could your t-stat be stuck open? It's possible. With fall/winter upon you in the far north, it might be worth replacing it anyways.

Replace the t-stat, flush the coolant, flush the heater core, new coolant and a new t-stat. At least you'd know for sure that you ruled everything out.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Anyone that installed the 180 and tuned for it notice any downsides? My mechanic is against it, saying it will cause more problems then good. Just asking because I haven't installed mine, when I went to install, realised my radiator is leaking from passenger side so I postponed it, as it'll cost about $600 parts and labor to replace it unless I try and install it myself.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Anyone notice any bad things with the 180 tstat installed and tuned for? Just asking as I have not installed mine yet, I noticed rad was leaking from passenger side when I went to install so I postponed it until I replace the rad.. my mechanic is against it, says it will cause more harm then good (lower operating temp bad for oil, etc)

·
Registered
789 Posts
The 180 thermostat has became very popular in the Fiesta ST. People are getting running temperatures after pushing the car of about 205 vs 225 with the stock one. No one has said anything negative about it so far, but unless you are having running hot problems I don't see a need for it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
FF Affiliate
30,370 Posts
The 180 thermostat has became very popular in the Fiesta ST. People are getting running temperatures after pushing the car of about 205 vs 225 with the stock one. No one has said anything negative about it so far, but unless you are having running hot problems I don't see a need for it.

So a cooler engine is only better for the Fiesta and not the Focus ?

Cooler engine makes a safer engine and more performance , ALWAYS doesnt matter what engine it is

There is no downside to adding a 180 deg thermostat

Tom

·
Registered
789 Posts
So a cooler engine is only better for the Fiesta and not the Focus ?

Cooler engine makes a safer engine and more performance , ALWAYS doesnt matter what engine it is

There is no downside to adding a 180 deg thermostat

Tom
You did not get it. The Fiesta ST has a overheating problem. That's why people are installing them. Did I say the Focus does not need one Nope. I did say if your not overheating I don't see the need. Did you feel the need to attack my comment or just poor reading comprehension?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
FF Affiliate
30,370 Posts
205-225 is well with in the normal operating range of the Fiesta , all Foci run in the 220-235 range but that isnt hot for these late engines its very normal

Most high speed cooling fans done even turn on till above 230

By lowering the engine temps so there in the 195-205 range it makes the engines , almost all engines less prone to detonation / spark knock and a cooler engine always performs better

So I guess I am attacking your comment if you want to look at it that way

Tom

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^^Well im starting to lose a few cups of coolant a week now so im getting new radiator installed next week and will probably remove the shutters as well and install the 180 therm and get it tuned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Guys!

Just to reconfirm again, the Stant 48728 would fit in a 2014 Focus 2.0 Hatchback right?
I cant attach the amazon link since i'm a new member.

Thank you!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi Guys!

Just to reconfirm again, the Stant 48728 would fit in a 2014 Focus 2.0 Hatchback right?

I cant attach the amazon link since i'm a new member.

Thank you!
Yup .... that's the one ...
Need a tune to take advantage of it though

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yup .... that's the one ...
Need a tune to take advantage of it though

Sent from my SM-G960F using FF Mobile
Thanks for the reply!

I already have the tune from Tom btw so i guess thatll be alright.

Oh and also, the "Motorcraft Orange Concentrated Antifreeze/Coolant" is the one we're using in the car right? Since thats the only coolant i can find here in Malaysia for the Ford Focus.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

Oh and also, the "Motorcraft Orange Concentrated Antifreeze/Coolant" is the one we're using in the car right? Since thats the only coolant i can find here in Malaysia for the Ford Focus.

Correct on the coolant type ...
Btw, after installing the thermostat, do another datalog, send it to Tom and he will give you another custom tune (he will change the fan settings to suit the lower temperature thermostat)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

It's a concentrate. Make sure you dilute it with distilled water.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys ! What is the real function of changing the thermostat? Because I live in Brazil and the ambient temperature is generally 35 to 40º Celsius the whole year. Will I benefit by trading? remembering that my car has a custom turbo and the tuning will be done with the TOM.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Changing the thermostat, accompanied with the proper tune, just makes your fans turn on at a lower temperature meaning, in theory, you start combating that heat sooner. If you're gonna have a turbo setup, then heat will definitely be an issue worth noting, however, I've never worked with a turbo so I cant advise specifically in your case.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Changing the thermostat, accompanied with the proper tune, just makes your fans turn on at a lower temperature
Um... No.

While it might end up doing the same thing, what the thermostat does is allow coolant to flow from the engine through the radiator. The thermostat is a valve that is normally shut, and opens at the specified temperature. While the thermostat is closed, coolant does not flow through the radiator, which allows the engine to get hotter. At the temperature where the thermostat is open, coolant flows through the radiator to shed the excess heat, where it may or may not be assisted by fan cooling. Fan cooling shouldn't be necessary when the car is at speed, the fans are typically for very heavy load or low speed driving where the air flow through the grille is not enough to keep the coolant temperature low enough.

A lower operating temperature is not always a good thing, there's a reason why the thermostat is there to keep the temperature higher. It functions to regulate the engine temperature, to keep it at a consistent range, where the engine is best suited to efficiently produce power. Sometimes in hotter climates a cooler thermostat is used, because it is understood that the higher temperature ambient air will remove less heat from the radiator, resulting in a higher overall operating temperature. Sometimes for high power applications a lower temperature thermostat is used because there will be more heat added to the system, again resulting in a higher than expected operating temperature.

Similarly in unusually cold climates, a higher temperature thermostat can be used to better regulate engine operating temperature.

In all cases, it is only a small difference in temperature that is acceptable. The engine is NOT at its best for power or reliability at a lower operating temperature. Even in extreme performance situations, it is seldom actually necessary to change the opening temperature of the thermostat. It may be the case for a trailer queen race car, where more than 80% of its operating time will be at wide open throttle, and it is made to produce significantly more power than stock, but otherwise, this should be based on its normal operating temperature in its normal operating environment.

Some people will remove the thermostat entirely for race or performance under an illusion of improved performance. This is never better than a properly functioning thermostat.

·
FF Affiliate
30,370 Posts
Um... No.
In all cases, it is only a small difference in temperature that is acceptable. The engine is NOT at its best for power or reliability at a lower operating temperature. Even in extreme performance situations, it is seldom actually necessary to change the opening temperature of the thermostat. It may be the case for a trailer queen race car, where more than 80% of its operating time will be at wide open throttle, and it is made to produce significantly more power than stock, but otherwise, this should be based on its normal operating temperature in its normal operating environment.
Not sure where you go this info but totally dont agree , I can dop the temps from 220-230 to 195-205 to me thats a significant drop in Temp and totally acceptable for any performance and almost any out side temps down to about -10 deg
190 -205 is exactly where you will see your best performance and where it makes its best power and most defiantly most reliable
In ALL and I cant say this enough ALL extreme performance conditions by lowering the water temps you lower the Cyl temps and there is less chance of detonation and makes the engine safer which makes the engine make better performance and is far more reliable

This holds true from stock engine thats spiritedly driven to full turbo kit and anything in between

Tom

121 - 140 of 147 Posts