Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Won't "kill" performance, but it removes a factory performance piece that wasn't even avail. for earlier cars.
Yes I've noticed it was quite a "special feature" when saw it printed on the catalogue. It supposedly helps with mpg by closing when possible to redirect air better... If this appearance mod of mine goes forward I may remove the shroud and shutters completely. Is there any electronic items that'll be affected? Fuse, warning lights, etc?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Don't remember a mention of warnings when those didn't work right, you could unplug to prove it.

Pretty hidden with the normal front end, some didn't even believe they had 'em until looking real close.

Grill shutters are cool, even if they become more visible why trash them and the shroud?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Don't remember a mention of warnings when those didn't work right, you could unplug to prove it.

Pretty hidden with the normal front end, some didn't even believe they had 'em until looking real close.

Grill shutters are cool, even if they become more visible why trash them and the shroud?
I realize the coolness part of it and I absolutely enjoy this car with this feature. But I'll be (trying) to do somewhat extensive custom mod to front end and the shroud and shutters may not look good so we'll see haha.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Yes I've noticed it was quite a "special feature" when saw it printed on the catalogue. It supposedly helps with mpg by closing when possible to redirect air better... If this appearance mod of mine goes forward I may remove the shroud and shutters completely. Is there any electronic items that'll be affected? Fuse, warning lights, etc?
The car will throw a DTC code but won't illuminate the check engine light if the ags is removed.

·
Registered
996 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I pulled the hose and left it elevated. Barely lost enough fluid to need to top off.
Did you buy a jug of coolant from the dealership to top it back off? What specific blend of the oem motorcraft coolant should I request? There was 2 different ones cited in the thread. About to do mine after new years since my extended warranty will officially be up.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Did you buy a jug of coolant from the dealership to top it back off? What specific blend of the oem motorcraft coolant should I request? There was 2 different ones cited in the thread. About to do mine after new years since my extended warranty will officially be up.
There's only one correct coolant for the MK3 Focus (either in concentrate, or premixed), and it's the VC-3-B Motorcraft Specialty Orange coolant (for concentrate), or VC-3Dil-B for the 50/50 premixed variety of Motorcraft Specialty Orange coolant.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Out of ALL the modifications I've done to my car this has been by FAR the worst to do! Still going at the bottom bolt on the thermostat housing. Probably going on two hours or more now.
I take that back, the spring/shock swap was the worst but this was a close second.

Edit* Done now. ETA should read 4 hours and 50 minutes instead of the previously quoted 45 minutes lol. Instead of the open wrench on the bottom bolt you can save a lot of time by squeezing in the long 1/4 inch extension in there. Wish I would've known. I also did not get the temp gauge read out on the test screen. It was my first time using it but I got a bunch of blank colored screens.

Edit* test mode can be achieved by having key in accessory mode and holding down ok/right arrow on LEFT of the steering wheel. While holding for 5 seconds turn key from accessory position to run position. After another 5 seconds or so of holding the test mode will appear on display above steering wheel.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Easiest way is to remove the intake manifold , then you can change the thermostat in 1 hr or less

Tom
I pulled the alternator away from the block and had it done in about 45mins-1hr.

Not sure why these guys are having such issues.

Their tool sets may just be that much more slim than my 20 year old Craftsman "Mechanics" set. lol

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Say what you will but at least the next guy has an appropriate outlook on the time range he's looking at. Could be 45 minutes to 4 hours depending on mechanical ability. I gave an honest start to finish estimate. I'm not a mechanic by trade, nor do I work on cars every day. However, I do pride myself in doing all the work myself. My eibach sportlines/ST struts and shocks took me 7 hours to install. Is that the quoted estimate in the books? No, but it gives the slow average joe guy like myself a more real world estimate. 90% of guys are faster than me but I know my work is spot on and I don't cut corners.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
i'm right there with you, it usually takes me double the quoted time to get things done on my car but they always get done! it's a learning experience.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Say what you will but at least the next guy has an appropriate outlook on the time range he's looking at. Could be 45 minutes to 4 hours depending on mechanical ability. I gave an honest start to finish estimate. I'm not a mechanic by trade, not do I work on cars every day. However, I do pride myself in doing all the work myself. My eibach sportlines/ST struts and shocks took me 7 hours to install. Is that the quoted estimate in the books? No, but it gives the slow average joe guy like myself a more real world estimate. 90% of guys are faster than me but I know my work is spot on and I don't cut corners.
Some guy claimed that one guy with hand tools and no lift could do a full spring swap in one hour or two at the most..I called BS on him as I myself have done this in about 4 cars and only the ones that I had pulled all that apart several times and was very familiar could I do it in less then 2 hours.

Sounds like this would be a good thing to do, at the same time as I do the intake manifold..pull manifold off, install thermostat and then go to town on the intake manifold, yee haw!!

Is this the same part everyones using? -> https://www.amazon.ca/Stant-48728-XACTStat-Fahrenheit-Thermostat/dp/B001FI72E8/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Ford|54&Model=Focus|679&Year=2013|2013&ie=UTF8&n=6948389011&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Going to do his as well while everything is apart

Sent from my XT1585 using FF Mobile
Yes, looks easy as pie with the manifold removed!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just did mine yesterday. It took about 2-1/2 hours and the worst part was getting the upper hose off after one of the ears broke off of the hose clamp. I ended up cutting it off with a die grinder but a Dremel would have worked as well or better I just don't have one. I didn't have any trouble getting the lower bolt out, the trick was using the short and medium 1/4" wobble extensions I bought ages ago from Harbor Freight. Also, definitely take out the headlight. It takes about two minutes and provides more room. The clip was a bit different, you pull the tab back towards the leads instead of push down like most connectors. If I had to do it again (and the other clamp doesn't break) I think it would take 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

If you don't have wobble extensions or swivels buy them, they are worth the $15 in time saved and you have them for future projects.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Im hoping itll be a lot faster then 2.5 hours with the manifold off.

61 - 80 of 170 Posts