Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone installed brakes and rotors how easy or hard is it, and could it be done by inexperienced people in my garage or should i pay to have it done, brakes are important so i am not just jumpin into it

·
Registered
789 Posts
it is fairly easy but i wouldn't have just anyone do it. i do it myself because it saves me about 100 bucks and after a few times of doing it, it goes pretty fast. my best suggestion if you haven't done it before would be to get one of the focus auto manuals, i forget which one i have (i got it from o'reilly's), and use it as a guide.

·
Registered
549 Posts
all you will need is a few wrenches,a big c-clamp,and maybe a philips screwdriver. just pull the wheel,undo the 2 bolts holding the brake caliper to the wheel(located on the back of the caliper) open the cap on your brake fluid reservoir, use the c-clamp to compress the piston into the caliper, once the caliper is off the rotor,it should slide off,if not then your model has a few phillips screws holding it (they will be next to the wheel studs) put new rotor on, install top bolt on caliper,pop the new pads and clips in,and swing the caliper down over the pads and tighten both bolts on the caliper. then put the cap back on the reservoir and tested your brakes while the car is still sitting. should only take about 20-30 minutes per wheel for the front. good luck[:D]

·
Registered
789 Posts
^^just to add to what you said, the bolts that hold the caliper in place are allen wrench, i believe 7 mm but don't quote me, and when you get done and have every thing back in place pump the brakes until you can't pump them anymore to charge the lines back up to the correct operating pressure.

·
Registered
549 Posts
^^thanx for catchin that. this is a pretty easy job..a 4 on a 1-10 scale.just make sure you put the cap back on before testing your brakes or you will suck air into the system and thats a whole other write up.[thumb]

·
Registered
789 Posts
good luck and let us know how the install goes.[drinking]

·
Registered
226 Posts
about 25 min for me doing rotors, first time and by myself. granted i have watched someone do rotors but that was on an 82 volvo...a little different

·
Registered
170 Posts
Once you have the calipers off,and the rotors don't come off (rust!)and there are no phillips screws,(which I have never seen on a Focus) don't be afraid to hit them with a BFH.(big friggin hammer) as sometimes they are rusted on pretty tight.You'd swear they were glued on.They are scrap anyway,so beat 'em...

·
Registered
87 Posts
A brake job on a Focus is very easy, anyone can do it. All you need is a 19mm socket to get the wheels off obviously. A 7mm Allan wrench or Allan socket with a rachet. A C-clamp to push on the old brake pad so the piston goes back into the bore in the caliper. I recommend getting new stock rotors. The early Foci came stock with a pretty aggressive brake pad that wear out the rotors to minimum thickness, cause them to warp during hard braking. All you have left is to install the new pads onto the caliper. Make sure to spray the rotors off with brake clean to make sure no residue is present on the rotors. Button everything back up. Tighten the wheels to 90 ft/lbs and pump the brake pedal before driving.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
When you compress the piston, I would suggest opening the bleeder and letting the fluid out of the system instead of pushing back into it. Then, when you are reassembling everything, just bleed the system (just look at all of the crap that comes out when you bleed it).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts