Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my BDR throttle body today, and now I can't even get it to start. To answer some questions, yes I used a new gasket, and yes I plugged the TSP in. The first time I went to start it, it started up, ran for a minute, and I could hear a high pitch squeeling noise, and then sputtered and shut off. From then on, when i go to start it, all it does is make a clicking noise, and the dash lights flash. It doesnt even try to turn over. I even unplugged my battery for 30 min, and unplugged my TSP, and plugged it back in, but it didnt help at all. It does the same thing. I worked on installing the TB all day, in the cold, and now I'm really mad. All help will be greatly appreciated. I need to get this thing fixed ASAP.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, the problem turned out to be the connection to the battery. I didnt have the battery terminals hooked up just right. When it started it sputtered real bad, so I took it for a 15 minute drive, and made sure to not floor it any. It made it the whole way, but tried to die on me twice when i had to stop at a light. It still idles weird.....any suggestions, or is this normal?

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
It's probably just recalibrating the computer for the new idle, give it some time. Although mine didn't react like that, it worked pretty nicely every time I disconnected the battery.

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
I didnt have any sputtering issues when i installed my throttle body. are you still getting the squealing noise? that makes it sound like there might be a problem with the breather tube. though i am no expert on the matter.

·
Registered
891 Posts
did u disconnect ur battery and reconnect it. I had the same problem and the battery fixed it and havent had a problem snice.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, i drove it today to and from work. The sputtering is pretty much gone, but it squeals whenever I let off the gas, and when its idling. I definately have a leak somewhere. I'm pretty sure its because I didnt scrape off all the residue from the old gasket before putting on the new gasket. I was in a rush and it was cold....but I regret skipping that step. I'm going to take the TB back off on tuesday, and fix the leak issue. I'm also going to adjust the idle screw to make it idle better. Anymore recommendations are welcome and much appreciated.

And yes, I did disconnect my battery and reconnect it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Don't bother adjusting that screw. If you do, it won't take long before the computer compensates and changes your idle back.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha.....thanks anyway guys. I guess I should have mentioned I fixed the problem already. It was leaking between the TB and the manifold. I didnt scrape all of the old gasket off, so I uninstalled the TB, scraped the old gasket off, put the TB back on, and its been running like a champ ever since. No more leaking, and the throttle response is awsome. I am very pleased w/ this mod.

·
Registered
649 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Where do you get these TB's from? How much do they run?
which model do u have. If u have a SPI then good luck on finding a TB considering that BDR no longer makes them and Focus Central is no longer around. If u have a Zetec then Steeda and Massive have some.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts