Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel system problem immediately followed my DIY replacement of the alternator. The engine fired and ran for a few seconds a couple times after the alternator replacement but then would not start in subsequent attempts.

Last weekend I didn't have my code reader or scan tool available to troubleshoot the problem, but the plugs all had spark, so my suspicion was fuel supply. I did also replace the plugs. The car/engine has about 85K on the odometer.

The fuel system fuse and breaker both checked OK, and I listened to hear the fuel pump running with no success although my hearing is not the best.

Of course, there's no schrader valve to measure pressure, so I pulled the line from the passenger side of fuel rail, and found at best a quick spurt when the key was turned on.

I had changed the fuel filter about 18 months ago, but I replaced again still with no engine start.

Somewhere in the process I ruled out the inertia switch by unplugging the switch and placing a jumper wire across the terminals of the pigtail connector.

I then purchased both the expensive complete fuel pump assembly and also the fuel pump rebuild kit from O'Reilly. Upon disassembly of the old fuel pump, I found I was able to go the cheaper route with replacement of the pump and screen/filter elements. The new suction foot/support provided in the kit for the new pump was different, but it all seemed to assemble properly.

The engine still would not start, so then I rented the fuel pressure test tool kit from O'Reilly. The kit included a long tee that fit to the supply end of the rail after moving the coolant and power steering reservoirs out of the way. There seemed to be more fuel flow but still the gauge showed no pressure.

I also replaced the fuel connection between the steel line at the firewall and the fuel rail. The original line has an inline chromed disk with no attached wiring (check valve?) whose function I have been unable to determine. The temporary replacement was a 12-inch length of 5/16" fuel line and it made no improvement.

After all this I learned that the Focus uses a returnless fuel system. This coming weekend, I will return to the car in the Houston area with my code reader and scan tool. I plan to check function of the fuel pressure sensor, and also the fuel pump driver module.

I welcome your suggestions and questions that might help me check the function of these items, and any other help with understanding the nature and finding a resolution to the problem.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sending unit? Not sure if that car has one. I put a new fuel pump and sending unit in our jeep about 2 months ago and I only started couple of times. (about 5 mins apart). Then after putting everything back I went to start it and it wouldn't start. I checked the fuel pressure (which has a valve) and it was only 28 psi or so. I had a defective fuel pump. Put another one in and started right up and haven't had a problem since. Maybe you got a defective pump?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FOCUSO8SES--
Thanks for your thoughts. I will check the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail and also the fuel pressure driver module under the rear passenger seat. If neither is broke, I plan to try another fuel pump to eliminate the possibility of the first replacement being defective.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
If using the early style original pump module there is NO AVAILABLE PUMP to fit into it, the replacement pump 'only' is made for the later second design pump module and does not fit in like ten different ways in the early module.

The early module has a fully round body, the later one looked like a pie with 1/4 circle chunk cut out of it. Big notch in the side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If using the early style original pump module there is NO AVAILABLE PUMP to fit into it, the replacement pump 'only' is made for the later second design pump module and does not fit in like ten different ways in the early module.

The early module has a fully round body, the later one looked like a pie with 1/4 circle chunk cut out of it. Big notch in the side.
Per your description, I must have the later assembly. The door sticker says my car was made in May2002, and O'Reilly says that's the month when the fuel pump change was made. I was unsure which to buy, and that's the reason I bought both.

My assembly is like the one shown on the left at the picture linked below:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/97pJpRu-E4A/maxresdefault.jpg

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Both those are the same, the later one.............pump by itself works in that one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts