Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my offroad pipe, and I love it.

One complaint, around 1,900-2,300 rpm it's REAL LOUD with my stock svt exhaust system.

So my question is, can I quite that down somehow?
And also, whats a AEM adjustible exhaust cam do? Can I smooth that out somehow?

When I say its loud I mean buzzing almost right around those rpms...thought i'd ask! [thumb]

ty

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Well its going to be loud, that is to be expected. I have the ORP with a Borla catback, if it was not for the resonator, well lets just say everyone in a 1 mile reach would hear me. Enjoy your SVTF, but not too much. lol [driving] [;)]

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well this is my thinking.....

Take off the small rear muffler, the one with the tip attached. Run two pipes for a split rear and two cheap hi-flow n1 style mufflers with silencers on them.

What I was thinking of doing...

Also, I cant get my check engine light off - installed the BUNG to the rear o2 sensor still the check engine light is on (but my car runs perfectly).

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
hmm is the ORP is easy to put on??? Did yall put it on yourselves?? and I know its illegal to use on the street but would anyone even look for that ?? (when u bring it in for stickers)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wasn't that hard to put in, I had a friend of mine do it. The hard part he said was the back of the cat (because we didn't remove the flex pipe like the instr. ask), there was a few bolts up high that needed a adjustible power wrench to work off (exhaust was all rusted). Good mod though, I like it..

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
My cheater is on my back O2 sensor, I've not had any problems with a CEL. Check to make sure that it is connected secure enough. If its secure then the only thing I can think of is that you may have a bad cheater.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
R&D You only used one for the rear right? I was looking online somewhere and I saw a add for two of them...ill check mine though...

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I got my ORP from FC, it only come with one cheater. Rear O2 sensor, yes. I just followed the instructions given that was all I did, hubby installed the ORP I plugged up the cheater.

Now I've had my ORP in my SVTF now for well almost a year with no problems or any CEL light. Try this if you have not already. We do this after any install of aftermarket parts. Disconnect your battery, connect back after well lets be safe and say 15 min. This will reset your computer and the CEL may disappear. What may be happening is that your ECU is not reading the cheater. Try the battery thing and see if that works. If not and the cheater is secure, I would call who ever you purchased the ORP from and let them know. Cheater may or may not be bad. I dont know if running two works, to be honest I've not heard of anyone doing that yet.

Man if none of that works then I have no clue, have a code run done and then see what comes up. Heck it may even be something else. Never know. Good luck. [;)]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey im kinda spectal about the offroad pipe, because im running straight pipping right after the cat. THe muffler guy cut off all three mufflers and now i have a magnaflow canister muffler. Im just wondering if i put on the off road pipe is it going to be annoying loud because thats the last thing i want is tobe hassled by the cops again for complaints.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
SVT ewx ca said:
Well this is my thinking.....

Take off the small rear muffler, the one with the tip attached. Run two pipes for a split rear and two cheap hi-flow n1 style mufflers with silencers on them.
why the heck would you do that?[confused] thats just silly

the orp will be loud, its an OFF ROAD PIPE meaning it replaces the cat, you only need a MIL eliminator for the rear 02 sensor as its the only one whose readings will be different

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
twiggy_Zappa said:
Hey im kinda spectal about the offroad pipe, because im running straight pipping right after the cat. THe muffler guy cut off all three mufflers and now i have a magnaflow canister muffler. Im just wondering if i put on the off road pipe is it going to be annoying loud because thats the last thing i want is tobe hassled by the cops again for complaints.
its gonna be loud and you might be sacrificing power there. chances are whatever the custom shop did for u it isnt mandrel bent...

best option would be to get a catback and have a resonator installed

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
yes go for the "stealth" option [rolleyes]

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I removed the resonator after I installed the offroad-pipe, and I put a 19" titanium muffler in that rear section (5.5 lbs). With the stock exhaust it was loud through 1,750-2,300 rpms to the point of "lawnmower" crap.

With this muffler on, which barily fit but did because of the angel its set in, it sounds perfect, not loud at all but - beautiful. I wish I could get a sound clip for you guys, but im going to take pictures soon...just dont know how to post them.

Hopefully a turbo system is on the way if finances permit. hehe

·
Registered
12 Posts
A off road pipe and an Edelbrok RPM series sound awesome! My brother has it, and im trying to do the same. Parents are being di***

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks euroZx3, but yeah the piping is mandrel i forgot to mention that. iguess ill put a resonator back on to get away from the annoying poping sounds.

·
Registered
215 Posts
u know with the orp your car runs really rich....there are ways to lean it out, big difference

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really? What ways? Im going to be installing larger injectors, 45lb, within a month or so, and ecu tweaks to accomidate my turbo.

Ive noticed a less economical gas milage (around 220mile/tank), and I can't get my check engine lite off. Installed the rear bung correctly, and tucked away from driveshaft. I unpluged my battery for like a minute then reconnected, no check engine light w/orp installed. When I went to get my next tank of gas that day, it came back on.

Soooooo I dunno, hehe but I'd like to correct it for the time being----

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sure hope you guys are running the ORP --- off-road, in which case the additional noise isn't a problem. If you're on the road, tsk tsk - I hope the extra piss-ant performance it gives is worth the extra damage to the environment and the $5000 EPA fine you'll incur if you get caught.

Greg

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL the actual maximum fine is 10k, and that is per day until the uninstallation, thank god I only use it on the race track on the way to work. But my concern is running rich now + how to fix that [poke]

·
Registered
154 Posts
hammong said:
I sure hope you guys are running the ORP --- off-road, in which case the additional noise isn't a problem. If you're on the road, tsk tsk - I hope the extra piss-ant performance it gives is worth the extra damage to the environment and the $5000 EPA fine you'll incur if you get caught.
WOW, is this guy serious? The cops must be a$$holes in MD. Where I live there are emissions laws, but my buddy lives 20 mins from me (next county) and he doesnt have any emission laws. Your worried about the environment ............ have you ever watched a Semi or a school bus drive down the road????? Give me a break. There arent any cops around here that are going to crawl under my car to see if there is a CAT or not (assuming they even know what one looks like). So who's gonna catch me ......... When the car is a few years old and has to have the emissions tested I will put the cat back on, have the car tested and then take it back off! Of course thats assuming my buddy stops working at the EPA place between now and then, cause if he still works there I wont have to take it off, he will just pass me like he has for some of my previous cars!! [8D]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts