Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

So, I am cheap. Many of you already know this. The time came for me to finally buy a wideband. The cheapest I could find was the LC-1/DB gauge combo at CFM for $260 with free shipping. Still too much for me. Besides that, I don't like the round gauge, I wanted a square LED screen.

So, i searched google. And found out about JAW.

http://www.14point7.com/Widebands/JAW_1_03/JAW_1_03.htm

The 1.04 version just came out right after I ordered. [:(] But, this one is still good.

Here's what you need, I got some extra stuff so I could make it removable:

JAW and display
Solder iron and small gage solder (really small)
Wideband extension harness from VEMS, get it with the wires: http://shop.vems.hu/catalog/product...id=57&osCsid=8b71735cabcb6651547e0445e36dde9b
PS/2 extension wire (optional): http://shop.vems.hu/catalog/product...id=71&osCsid=8b71735cabcb6651547e0445e36dde9b
9-pin mini-DIN for xcal2 datalog (optional)
phono plug with 2 conductors (optional) (for connecting xcal2 to project box)
Radioshack Project Box
Bosch LSU4.2 wideband o2 sensor. I got 17014 at oreilly's for $52+tax.
small 12V fan
small ring terminal for ground
USB->serial converter and driver (like ebay item 230295498211)

I've spent $161. And I have a working wideband that outputs a 0-5V signal that I can program to achieve optimal resolution.

on with the pics!

sensor:

extension harness (loom not included):

9-pin mini-DIN:

PS/2 extension cable:

phono plug and ring terminal:

Assembly pics:

finally got it hooked up in my car.... took about 6 hours start to finish. Still need a project box for a clean install.

it works!

So, there is another option for wbo2 that i've never seen on the Focus forums [thumb] hope someone else likes my work and gets it lol

·
Registered
798 Posts
Awesome find & great job on assembly! So there is no casing to hide the boards?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No that is why I'm going to buy a radioshack project case. The $161 includes that cost (about $4).

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
OOOoooo now I get it......

When you were talking about it I was having a hard time picturing it. Nice work and thats REALLY BRIGHT!

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its not so bad in the car.

and if I want to I can put a potentiometer in place of the 2.2kOhm resistor on the display board to change the brightness.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Man I am just starting to learn about electrical systems in school.... Its hard.... Looks like you have quite the handle on it though. Looks great man!

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Way to much electical stuff for me but thats awesome you did it yourself

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no math involved everything is plug and play it all came with the kit. All I did was solder stuff to the board, and extend wires using solder and electrical tape.

and thanks [thumb]

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
holy shiznitobam pete. thats a lot o wirin. i'm jsut gonna get the normal wideband. and i'll probably go procharger or turbo. saddest thing is the kit will be worth more than my car...

·
Registered
975 Posts
looks pretty good. i like the big digital display.
im happy with my autometer phantom wideband tho lol ($230)

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all

I bought my project box and cut out a spot for the display so I will be cleaning up the install tonight or tomorrow, more pics then [thumb]

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alright well i just got done with my GRE and now im going to go vote, after that i will finish the install of the JAW [:D]

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hhaaaaawttttt

i LOVE it [:D]

fits right in there like its supposed to be there! I have a 12V fan on it because the heatsink on the o2 sensor's voltage regulator gets pretty hot.

and now....

are you ready for this....?

HAWT

tach, stock blue gauges, oil psi. Tach soon to be swapped out to match the oil psi (autometer ultra-lite with blue LED).

WOOOOOOOOOOT!!! man im so happy i finally have a wideband [:D] and its totally sweet lookin [thumb]

edit, so apparently the display looks really bright in the pics, but it actually blends really really well with the blue. in the car they are about the same. Hard to tell the brightness of LED's with a digicam. its just the way they are.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Im sure I'll see this in person soon. Nice work!

·
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
2,293 Posts
odd that this is the first time I saw this thread. did I ever send you this picture? (1.00 lambda on the highway ftw)

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i believe that was on massive failtune and it took you about 20 tries to get that lol

in any case its after the cat so part throttle highway readings are no good really it just bounces around, even full throttle is a bit of a guessing game but its close. im much happier on my not-yet-a-tune seeing low 12's instead of 13.3 13.4 on the old tune. definitely going to put it in the front o2 spot for OL tuning tho.

·
Registered
268 Posts
awsome mcgyvering pete![woot] i won't b doing that for my wb though my brain would explode before i even finished! [ohcrap] i found a steady supply of lc-1's on ebay for $170 shipped! but thats without a gauge though. it's another $40 for that. but it seems easyer and it has a narrow band output for the ecu and my narrowband gauge.[nutkick]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts