Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lol, so today my day started out very good since I was gonna be able to install my CAI. So I drive on base and go to the self service mechanic place. I get a work bay and its like 4$ a hour and you get to use basically any tool a mechanic has. So, on the website it usually says about 30min to install CAI and im like well this is gonna be simple. So I start off taking all the stock stuff and that alone took about 40minutes, some of the bolts and screws are really hard to take out. So I start to put my Marcy Motorsports CAI together. So I get the top pipe and I noticed I was missing the rubber piece that the little elbo thing slides into. So im like ok, this is not gonna mess me up. I said ill just use some ducktape. Then I get to the bottom pipe section where your filter hooks up. Sure enough im missing another bolt and some other piece that connects to that. So I'm like thats great! So I ask the assitant/mechanic guy that works there what to do. Hes like you should take it all apart and put your stock on! Im like OMG! So I put this stock intake crap all back on! And this [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* is alot harder to put on then it is to take off. So after I put all of it on im like ok let me pay and leave and send the people I ordered this from to send me the parts for cai. So as im bout to leave I start up my car it idles for 2 sec and dies. This is where my day gets really bad :-(. Im like SoB!. So I check everything over and over and nothing. So I call my dad, to come over. So as he is on his way to the shop, he calls and says to hit my emergency gas button. So I did and my car started to work! But really rough idling. So when my dad gets there hes like lets put the new stuff back on! Im like omg! So I take all the stuff off this time, at this point im a expert and taking this stuff off and on, lol. So I totally strip the stock intake less then 15min. So we start to put the intake and my dad duck taped where I wass suppose to have the rubber grommit or whatever. We like ghetofied the screw to hold the bottom part of the intake in place, untill we got home then we replaced that.

So my Projected Time was about 1 hour.
Actual Time was about 6 hours and 30min :) (this has to be a record)

Was it worth it? Hell ya! Im not really worried about hydrolocking because the intake sits in a fully wraped case and my car is drawing air from the front bumper, which iI never relized before. It sounds amazing, lol. And the power omg! No way would I have thought it would increase that much! I shift outa first doing like 50 lol. Im gonna do a 0-60 video tommorow and compare it to the stock intake. Im expecting at least a second off.

Well if anybody wants to ask questions while its fresh on my mind, go ahead!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, they were actually very nice. I just checked in and out and cleaned up the bay :)

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I'm wicked jealous of you military people's access to the mechanic bays for $cheap/hour. Nice bonus in cases like these huh?

Glad you got it to work, and I agree the stock intake coming out is the hardest part at first. I'm sure it gets easier each time you mess with it though (I've thrown mine away so I dunno!)

Enjoy your "NEW" car... it sure feels like it right?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
well i dont like how the shops are ran. they dont inventory the tools and they have operate the lift for u . u cant touch it so if u need the car raised just an inch u have to go to the opffice ge tthe guy if hes not already busy he lifts it then if its to much or not enough u have to go back get him again , its just a pain in the ass i do everything in my driveway, unless i really have no choice have to go to that place

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The rubber gromit is stuck to the stock intake man. It is molded into it lol. Trust me i tried taking it apart lol. Ya, on base you operate the lift by yourself. Which is a big plus. They also have a painting place inside its pretty kool.

2.3 Pzev ATX

0-60 Before CAI
http://video.google.com/videoupload...5868409793120&filename=wsb64__TVZDLTQwMVc.MPG

0-60 After CAI
http://video.google.com/videoupload...2678815391948&filename=wsb64__TVZDLTQxM1c.MPG

^-------Im goin to reshoot this tonight when its kooler cuz i shot this at 12:00 and it was hott as hell.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
it is supose to be on the mafs tube silly. it is supose to be there. and last i checked they are like 5 bucks from ford for the rubber grommet

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, i know what u talking about. Its not on there. And the autozone sells them for 2.16 dollars :p

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
cruzstyle said:
well i dont like how the shops are ran. they dont inventory the tools and they have operate the lift for u . u cant touch it so if u need the car raised just an inch u have to go to the opffice ge tthe guy if hes not already busy he lifts it then if its to much or not enough u have to go back get him again , its just a pain in the ass i do everything in my driveway, unless i really have no choice have to go to that place
Varies from base to base. Ours operates where if they know you know what you are doing, have at it.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
wow that does sound great compared to you before CIA. You duratec guys are so lucky. I was pissed when I found out the ford waas not makeing the zetec anymore. I was'nt pissed that they stopped I was pissed that they put the duratec in the focus. It was the second time ford screwed me over. I bought a Ranger in 2001 and found out that I got the last one with the 2.5l and that they were putting the 2.3l duratec in there it made alot more hp and tq and got better milage to boot not to mention that it was lighter. Same thing happend with my focus I bought that and found out a week later that they did the same thing. But enough about my wineing I can't believ how much better your car sounds and it looks like it took a whole second of your 0-60 my intake probly took a .2 sec off mine lol if that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts