Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted post a review here. The install is quite easy and all hardware is provided. The pictures on the direction sheet are reasonably good.

I felt a definite improvement in the responsiveness of the SVT after install. The intake is also louder. I dug this out of the press releases from K&N about the SVT typhoon intake. I don't know what the numbers are on my car, and would not surprised if they are not as high as claimed in the press release (I would expect half of that, and would be happy with that) but the increase in responsiveness is noticeable and makes driving more fun.

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=12

I have not tried other intakes, so cannot compare.

Hope this helps, and thanks for reading.
 

·
BAD EGG
Joined
·
7,418 Posts
I've put many miles on mine and still love it. Just a tip but keep an eye out for loosening in the coupler hoses as the engine pitches towards the firewall under load yet the K&N support bracket does not. See what I'm talking about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I am not sure I understand correctly.

Do you mean the crank case vent hose? Did you have problems with that getting loose from the cam cover? I could see that happening since the hose is fairly easy to pull off.
 

·
BAD EGG
Joined
·
7,418 Posts
2004SonicBlueSVT said:
Thanks for the tip. I am not sure I understand correctly.

Do you mean the crank case vent hose? Did you have problems with that getting loose from the cam cover? I could see that happening since the hose is fairly easy to pull off.
No, the coupling between the throttle body and the intake tube can come loose and create a leak. The intake tube bolts up to the throttle body & engine which pitches back towards the firewall under load. Just blip the throttle and you can watch that. The intake tube is supported by the metal brace that bolts to the heat shield which is bolted to the fenderwall and that doesn't move as the engine does. Essentially all the back & forth motion on the clamp between the throttle body and tube can cause that connection to loosen with mileage. Mine came loose at about 8,000 and developed a leak which threw a code. No biggie, just something to routinely check.
 

·
BAD EGG
Joined
·
7,418 Posts
Yeah, I haven't seen the K&N dyno chart but the Typhoon for our car is a SRI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
LastRites said:
I've put many miles on mine and still love it. Just a tip but keep an eye out for loosening in the coupler hoses as the engine pitches towards the firewall under load yet the K&N support bracket does not. See what I'm talking about?
havent seen it, but i know what your talking about. good advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,395 Posts
I have just a K&N filter in mine and I didn't really notice anything. Maybe a little louder and perhaps better initial throttle response but nothing big...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LastRites said:
No, the coupling between the throttle body and the intake tube can come loose and create a leak. The intake tube bolts up to the throttle body & engine which pitches back towards the firewall under load. Just blip the throttle and you can watch that. The intake tube is supported by the metal brace that bolts to the heat shield which is bolted to the fenderwall and that doesn't move as the engine does. Essentially all the back & forth motion on the clamp between the throttle body and tube can cause that connection to loosen with mileage. Mine came loose at about 8,000 and developed a leak which threw a code. No biggie, just something to routinely check.

Thanks - I think I know now what you are referring to. I will keep an eye out for this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PapoSwing said:
Wow 9whp claim on the SVTF [confused] This is a SRI system correct?

Yes, it is a SRI. A pretty good system from my initial experiences. More responsiveness for sure, and also a nicer sound.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top