Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im thinking about getting a borla catback system and some headers...wat will the cost be for installation roughly? Ive been told i cant install them myself....im not very mechanically incline. (computer geek) So any suggestion? or costs?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
^^Agreed. But there was quite a bit of work, I was surprised. Anyways, when I got mine installed, it only ran about 45 or so. But I only had the exhaust put on.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
the only part that could really be difficult is cutting the rear resonator section off

·
Registered
329 Posts
Plasma Cutter does the job but you probably dont have one of those lying around, So a hack saw will work just fine. Oh and do you have a torque wrench cause thats kinda nice to have for the header.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had mine put on about 4 months ago, the local muffler shop charged me $35 to remove the old system & install the 2.5 Borla. You couldn’t pay me to it for that much.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Like opus1 said, a muffler shop should charger you less than $50 for that considering its quite easy to do. If you access to a sawsall, you could easily do it yourself. The only cut you need to make is the rear section over the suspension.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
mofocus said:
the only part that could really be difficult is cutting the rear resonator section off
[werd] I used a 3" cut-off disc to remove the rear section. It would be best to buy new SS bolts too (if the Borla kit doens't come with them). But installing my Magnaflow took about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
As everyone has said, it is a very simple job. You need to cut the rear section of the stock exhaust to get it off, but it can be done with an array of tools....hacksaw, sawz-all, cut off wheel, plasma cutter, just about anything that will cut. As far as the header goes, it should be pretty simple as well. I'm in the process of putting on the SVT long tube header (which, from what I've read is about as difficult a header install can get), and as long as you have the right parts, even it is simple. I say, go for it. Even if you aren't a very mechanical person, you have to start somewhere. [wrenchin] [wrenchin] [wrenchin]

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Removing my stock exhaust wasnt so bad except that i ended up breaking the only sawz-all tip i had halfway through the job. so i just ended up taking it to a Tuner Shop, not an exhaust shop, and they charged me $78 dollars for the whole installation. it sucked cus i knew i could of done it myself but broke the tools i had to do it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What ever you do dont start the car anywhere in the process of doing this. My friend did and it set us back like a half hour because it got to hot under the hood.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^^But then you miss what the Focus sounds like straight piped.....okay, so maybe it's not that big of a loss to not start it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts