Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just remember it depends on your driving habits, Weather, road conditions and how much time you spend on the highway/city driving. Mine varies but I will say run it in sport mode for one tank and then go back to "D" and that will help the computer learn the new system. Plus its allot of fun... Mine burbles allot in Sport and a little now after the install...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did it last weekend and the car feels so much better now, pulls stronger throughout the whole rev range and seems to have a higher rev limit in each gear. Would not believe it could make such a difference and can't wait for this weekend when I pair it with a K&N typhoon.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Garland15949,

I just installed the TB and the DM Spacer this weekend. [headbang] WoW [thumb] With my setup it's like a new car. It goes into the higher RPM faster and with little pedal pressure. Before I had to push it hard to get the car to move. I would say it was like having turbo lag, you had to push the pedal down allot harder.

Now It gets to the power quickly and it I believe it gave me back my low end torque. From 0-60 it pushes to your seat, and will just keep pulling and Pulling. I really don't have a road where I can push it more [bigcry].

I just purchased a full tank of fuel after the install and will run it in Drive for this tank. Then the next tank I'll run it in Sport mode. The third tank will give the best overall gas mileage. I'll post the gas mileage for each.

Starting Gas Mileage: 31.9 (Cold week this tank)
Just got gas yesterday, my car's stuck on 34.7, per Fuelly I got 32.7mpg

Not bad for a 2.3L TB & Spacer w/ 3" Race Exhaust... I'm using SPORT this tank and see where that puts me.

·
Registered
439 Posts

Not bad for a 2.3L TB & Spacer w/ 3" Race Exhaust... I'm using SPORT this tank and see where that puts me.
[headbang] My intake parts have come in, and I will be installing them on the focus tomorrow or the next day. This might throw my MPG off, but I'll still run it in "S" for the remainder of the tank.

I purchased the MST Inlet Hose, Airaid Cold Air kit w/ Blue Filter and a filter shield to help keep the filter clean and stop any water after I get my NASA type 2 scoop installed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
What you need for TB and Spacer

[headbang] My intake parts have come in, and I will be installing them on the focus tomorrow or the next day. This might throw my MPG off, but I'll still run it in "S" for the remainder of the tank.

I purchased the MST Inlet Hose, Airaid Cold Air kit w/ Blue Filter and a filter shield to help keep the filter clean and stop any water after I get my NASA type 2 scoop installed.
Ok, [facepalm]I %^&* [bigcry]up my MST inlet hose and was not prepared as I needed to be and now I need a new one. This is what you need If you have the TB & Spacer:

You will need two Silicone Gear Clamps; the ones made for silicone hoses one for the TB and on for the MAF, I'm not sure on the size as of yet. The stock one's won't fit.

You might, (depending on how its made) need to trim about .5" to 1" off the TB size to get it to fit. (Be careful on this, make sure your cut is straight).

You also need to cut the two small hose ports to an even nub. This will allow the stock pieces to fit and also be at the right height for the hoses to connect without causing unnecessary bending or pressure on the hoses.

Then you will need to boil the TB side for about 10 min (or longer) and then also use some type of lubricant to help in getting it to fit over the TB. Elbow Grease is needed. I used some silicone spray and it helped allot.

That's about it... [:(] Now I have to wait for another month before it to arrive. [mecry]

·
Registered
439 Posts

Ok, the Focus is on 34.6 now, Fuelly I got 31.5 so not much of a change. Other wise a good set up and doesn't affect gas mileage to much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Colossus have you noticed the benefits of the throttle body have decreased? It seems like we both installed it around the same time and I had the same great initial response of pulling harder throughout all the rev range and also an increase in fuel efficiency, but it now seems like this has subsided a fair amount. I'm happy to accept the some of the gains and losses were placebo and arse dyno, but is there anything that can be done about this? I want it feeling like how it felt just after I installed it, all the time.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Colossus have you noticed the benefits of the throttle body have decreased? It seems like we both installed it around the same time and I had the same great initial response of pulling harder throughout all the rev range and also an increase in fuel efficiency, but it now seems like this has subsided a fair amount. I'm happy to accept the some of the gains and losses were placebo and arse dyno, but is there anything that can be done about this? I want it feeling like how it felt just after I installed it, all the time.
Nolanm,

It has allot to do with your set up, not just the TB. On the initial install the MAF will recalibrate it's settings for the new TB response. Then it depends on what else you have installed on how it will feel. I would also suggest running in "S" for at least on full tank of fuel. This also helps set the computer up for a better response. Then it all depends on your set up.

This is what I have: TB Spacer (Demond), TB (Ford), Airaid Intake Kit, Ford ST Snorkel, TSUDO 3" ST Race Exhaust. It will put you in your seat when pressed from about 3,500 - 4,000 and keep pulling you all the way threw the gears. I haven't found a road to push it past about 70mph.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Nolanm,

I forgot to mention; on the KN Typhoon there have been reports of sluggish driving due to the filter sucking to much hot air from the engine. The Airaid kit was allot cheaper and seals better. I'm sure someone will come and say the opposite, but it's up to you to decide what is best for you.

·
Registered
439 Posts
OK, One More Try...

Ok, [idea] Ok [idea] My MST Intake tube has arrived. I'll be working with this and do the install after I have everything I need.

This time I know what I need, I just need the new hose clamps and I should have everything needed. Hopefully pictures to follow.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Nolanm,

I forgot to mention; on the KN Typhoon there have been reports of sluggish driving due to the filter sucking to much hot air from the engine. The Airaid kit was allot cheaper and seals better. I'm sure someone will come and say the opposite, but it's up to you to decide what is best for you.
Inst hat the truth, we all have our opinions hahaha

If anyone wants the typhoon I recommend getting the AEM CAI. Intake temps on my tuner are always 3 degrees below the outside air temp and is the same at idol.

runs lower temps than a big mouth set up (which ive also ran)

the location of the filter is pretty bad ass too

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep. Done it. Better response and no more speedo cutout at 105mph. Had it up to 115 and still wanted to go. Best 75 bucks I ever spent.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Up date...

Well I ordered a Blue MST intake hose, then I found out from Rebel devil that MST sells one made for the 2.3L TB. I ordered one from them and just waiting for it to arrive so I can finish my engine off.

Now I'm selling the Blue one with hose clamps I purchased for it. PM me if you are interested, Free S/H.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I ordered a Blue MST intake hose, then I found out from Rebel devil that MST sells one made for the 2.3L TB. I ordered one from them and just waiting for it to arrive so I can finish my engine off.

Now I'm selling the Blue one with hose clamps I purchased for it. PM me if you are interested, Free S/H.
I was able to fit the 2.0L MST hose on the 2.3L TB. Just used some plastic bike tire levers, was easier to put on with the TB mounted.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
I got mine in the mail, I just have to get time to install it on my Focus. Looks great and we'll see if I have to do any trimming. More to come...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Pics

I got mine installed, but I had to do some trimming to make it fit. The two little hoses I cut off so they were just little nobs left to fit the factory Hard plastic sensors.

Plus I have a 1" Damond TB Spacer, so I had to trim about 1" off. I could have trimmed a little less but it all worked out. Without further ado:

IMG_9232.jpg

IMG_9233.jpg

IMG_9234.jpg

IMG_9235.jpg

IMG_9236.jpg

41 - 59 of 59 Posts