Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to the local shop, and to get the sportline kit installed (springs, struts, and dampers) he said about 400 in labor.

is that right or a little high?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I'd look around...that seems a bit on the high side. It shouldn't take a competent shop more than three hours max to do all four corners, and if they're quoting you at an hourly rate you'd be looking at about $133/hour. Unless they're including alignment in with that price, in which case it would be very reasonable.

I'd shop around, or even do it yourself...its not hard. It took my friend and I about three hours to do the SVT suspension kit on my ZX3, and that's counting us being idiots and not loosening the strut tower bolts before putting the car up on the lift and taking the struts out of the front spindles.

·
Team Shocker #2
1,776 Posts
thats pretty high see if you can find a tuner shop. Most will have ricers sitting out front but many do good work. The one by my house will install for $125.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I guess if you live in the rust belt they may be covering their butts with a high estimate. They're counting on having problems with a few bolts which is a real possibility. If you're not in the rust belt a reasonable estimate should be about half that much.

The fronts take a half hour each (that includes a pottie or coffee break) and the rears 15 to 20 minutes each not including removal of the interior panels. You might be able to save a few bucks doing the rears yourself...they're really simple and only require basic hand tools....or at a minimum agree to remove and replace the interior panels yourself.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
If you have a nearly brand-new car, just do it yourself. None of your bolts are going to be frozen yet; if I was able to do a suspension install on a four-year old car that has spent half of its life in the snow belt (I kid you not, you'd think that the road crews get their pay docked if the roads aren't constantly white with salt during the winter around here), you can do it on a year-old or less car that has spent its entire life in the south.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I must have been cursed then, my 5 year old "rust belt" suspension was a pain in the butt. I had to cut half of the major bolts because they were frozen in the bushings, or they busted when I wrenched 'em. It was about $400 worth of PITA but I am glad I did it myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.