Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two months ago I replace the clutch, slave cylinder, and flywheel on my 02 zx5. Everything was going fine after a minor setback with the shifter cables. Last Thursday I replaced the leaky master cylinder and all hell broke loose. While bleeding the clutch after the install the entire metal fitting that houses the hydraulic line and bleeder nipple sheered off! I was using a typical 11mm combo wrench on the bleeder nipple so I wasn’t over torquing it. Anyway I replace the slave cylinder again Saturday with one I purchased locally. Now I have a gear oil leak between the bell housing and the engine. Is the input shaft seal in contact with the slave cylinder? Would a faulty cylinder cause a leak? Could I have damaged the input shaft seal wrestling the transmission back into place? I’m positive it’s gear oil that’s leaking. I use Royal purple gear oil. Can’t mistake that smell for anything else. The seller of the original clutch kit will either send me a new slave or give me a partial refund so I’m wondering which way to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a feeling that would be the case. Man, I do not want to pull the tranny for a third time but it looks like I don’t have a choice. At least the seller of the original clutch kit with the failed slave cylinder is working with me. They’ll be shipping me a replacement slave cylinder even though it’s past the warranty period. They described the pics of the broken cylinder as alarming!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts