Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got it and installed it. easy to do, hard to get it tight. the performance is great, but the noise kills me. i get creaking and pops more like something is loose but is not... i am wondering if i should keep it since my car acts like the whole suspension is loose. let me know... also is someone has a picture of the stock zx3 with stock sway bar will be great...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did you lubricated the bushings really good? I never have had any good luck with polyurethane bushings, I always get creaking. If you can find some high durometer rubber bushings in the same size, buy those. This is from my experience. But you can try some nice lithium grease, and grease the he** out of the bushings.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
mine are also sqeaking ALOT... but that wont bee for long... i am swapping my steeda 28mm out for the progress 22mm. the steeda bar contacted my rear SVTF custom reinforced arms twice and i dont want to have to worry about where i drive... so i ordered the progress one. its only slightly larger than stock... but ill be good enough for me... and ill be putting up my steeda bar in the classifieds hopefully at the end of this week.....

but i havent tried lubricating my bushings yet...

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
All you need is the lube from Energy Suspension. You can buy it in small tubes or a tub. That will fix any squeeks with these.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
What do you mean it "contacted" it twice?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
You do not want to overtighten the bushings. There's a good chance you have tightened things way too much. Bushings need some room to remain pliable. Cranking them down defetes their purpose. Follow the torque settings provided by the manufacturer. If none were provided not much more than hand tight is a good starting point especially for the end links.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I think he is talking about the ends of the bar hitting the arms, in that case, you need end links that are about 1/4" longer. I have seen this with the 28.6mm bar if youre using the stock endlinks. Get you a set of Energy Suspension endlinks and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok... i grease the beast and is much better, but the loud pop and side to side pop is still there... is more like the wheel is loose... getting mad...

·
Registered
629 Posts
i also have this problem, just put the bar in 2 weeks ago, creaks like crazy, and just about impossible to tighten down the mounting brackets on the subframe.....the gas tank is in the way.....

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i also have this problem, just put the bar in 2 weeks ago, creaks like crazy, and just about impossible to tighten down the mounting brackets on the subframe.....the gas tank is in the way.....
pm me your email and i will send you some pics. what worked for me well was grey lithium grease... but i pretty much soaked the bushings in that. my problem is that when load shifts from left to right and back that i hear a pop, and i think is the end links moving side to side in the control arm support, since they are too long...

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Lithium grease wont work for long. These bushings require a special lube. Dont cheap out with this, get the lube youre supposed to use. Its cheap enough. The Steeda bar is a great bar, but if you want to do the job the best way, go get Energy Suspension end links that are 1/4" longer, get the Energy Suspension mounts as well. All this will only cost you about $40 and will come with the lube. Another note, if you dont replace the mounts with the Energy Suspension ones, you WILL crack the steel mount into two pieces. The ones Steeda sends are crap and weak. I know, i cracked two of them and have never hurt the ES ones. Theyre alot heavier made and fit alot better. If you guys cant figure out what part numbers you need, PM me and ill get them for you.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lithium grease wont work for long. These bushings require a special lube. Dont cheap out with this, get the lube youre supposed to use. Its cheap enough. The Steeda bar is a great bar, but if you want to do the job the best way, go get Energy Suspension end links that are 1/4" longer, get the Energy Suspension mounts as well. All this will only cost you about $40 and will come with the lube. Another note, if you dont replace the mounts with the Energy Suspension ones, you WILL crack the steel mount into two pieces. The ones Steeda sends are crap and weak. I know, i cracked two of them and have never hurt the ES ones. Theyre alot heavier made and fit alot better. If you guys cant figure out what part numbers you need, PM me and ill get them for you.

i am not cheap damn it, that is what jason told me to use, grey mos grease...

well, the mounts i got seem from energy suspension, and are way stronger then the onces i saw... i think i will return the whole things, since i got only problems..

can you post pics

·
Banned
621 Posts
I should be getting my 28mm steeda bar soon, Can you Pm me the ES part number for the mounts and the end links so I can order them.
Thanks

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
You should have seen the mounts steeda sent me, they looked like teepee tents..LOL not even bent all the way and they never sent any replacements to me.had to improvise.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I recently installed the following set-up, and just completed 7 runs flat out at an autocross without any hint of noise or other issues.

"Steeda" 28.6 mm bar purchased through C-F-M, This bar is actually made by ADDCO. The frame mounts and bushings were OK, they looked like a good fit.

I had to ditch the factory links, and got the longer ones from ES, this sorted out the geomtery nicely especially with my 1.5" drop from the Koni Shocks SPrings. (I Got the ES kit with black graphite impregnated poly bushings)

The real find I came across was when I went to purchase a second set of Rear LCA's from Ford to modify with re-inforcements, I found that they superceded the 05MY Part Number (6S4Z-3078-AA) with a new 07MY part number (7S4Z-5500-A) which already has a nice little re-inforcement plate welded over the sway-bar link mounting hole.

They list for $61.35, but with a "racer discount" they go for around $50 each, and are worth the time savings fabricating and welding and re-painting etc.

I thrashed the car around real good, no noises etc, it was a good tight set-up.

I would see about how good and tight your bar mounts are in the frame, and make sure your subframe is torqued down to the chassis good too. You might be torquing the sub-frame against the body now that you have a bar this big anchored to it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts