Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm getting ready to install a sub and was wondering how hard it was of an install? I know I'm going to need a LOC and to splice into the rear speakers but can't seem to find a direct write up of a sub and amp.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I used a low powered active sub and used the existing wiring from the rear fuse box (heated seat circuit). For signal, I used high level speaker input.

Guess I took the easy way out, but I'm happy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine was really easy to install, just tap into some wires behind the radio(didn't want to buy a $50 harness), solder wires into LOC. Passing the power cable was super easy using the hole where the clutch pedal is supposed to go. The rest is easy just like any other sub install.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
48 Posts
It took all day. I did an extremely thorough install: ripped all body panels and everything. It was tedious as hell but I never regret it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks guys. I was wondering if this is the converter that I need. http://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-B6.../ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Here is the Amp I plan on getting http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S4XNEO/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I'm also going to be purchasing a 4.0 farah Capacitor.
If I were you I would go with some higher quality parts. I payed $300 for my amp alone. (imo I want something that is quality, that won't go lighting itself on fire buried under a bunch of rubber and Styrofoam. Just giving you my input

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I were you I would go with some higher quality parts. I paid $300 for my amp alone. (imo I want something that is quality, that won't go lighting itself on fire buried under a bunch of rubber and Styrofoam. Just giving you my input
I appreciate the input but I'm really not trying to spend over $100 on an amp alone. I understand if i had a bigger and more complex system with more components but this is just 1 ten. I'm really trying to find the best products I can use and get good results without breaking the bank. It's the struggle of being a college student.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
148 Posts
This picture helped a ton in wiring up my LOC paired with posi tap connectors, the install was straight forward but tedious. Ran the remote wire to my rear fuse box off the sunroof.

Attachments

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks that will help a lot. I guess you need to do an add-a-fuse? Or can you just tap it into the existing one?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks. My RMS is 150 watts so I was wondering If this amp would be a good choice http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-11DX200-4-200W-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B007MAL4EW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1412613535&sr=1-3&keywords=200+rms++amp
The only thing that confuses me i the Ohms. My sub says 4 Ohms and the amp says it's 2 Ohm stable but can be bridgeable into two 4 Ohm loads. I have no clue what that means or if it is compatible with my sub. :\
THIS IS OVERLY SIMPLIFIED, but it'll help you understand Load ratings for speakers...
Ohms refers to the resistance (at rest) of a speaker, lower values mean that the amp will deliver more power, since it "sees" less of a load to drive. This isn't always the case, but a good rule is that an amp rated at [email protected], will deliver about double the power (200W)@2Ohms.

The amp you're looking at is a 4 channel… from your post it looks like you just want to add a sub… My suggestion would be to get either a mono amp, or a 2 channel and bridge it down… As long as you don't drive a load that's LOWER than what the amp is rated for, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. My RMS is 150 watts so I was wondering If this amp would be a good choice http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-11DX200-4-200W-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B007MAL4EW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1412613535&sr=1-3&keywords=200+rms++amp
The only thing that confuses me i the Ohms. My sub says 4 Ohms and the amp says it's 2 Ohm stable but can be bridgeable into two 4 Ohm loads. I have no clue what that means or if it is compatible with my sub. :\
I don't know about that one, but this is the one I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-XS-GTX...Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item2ecf89dcd4

so far its been an amazing value for the money

EDIT: it appears that the amp you're looking at is a 4 channel which is meant to amplify speakers not a sub.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did mine fairly easy, removed driver side trim along door, ran wire, installed a line level converter, hooked into my left rear door speakers. sounds good, running all Rockford Fosgate ! Planning a JL Audio system, with the cleansweep, and the " Micro Sub " box, preloaded with 2 8" subs. They say that little box slams. IDK we'll see !!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Car Audio, SYNC, MFT & Electronics for easier reference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts