Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to drop the transmission for a clutch replacement. Upon taking out the drivers side axle it pulled off and now the inner cv is inside the transmission. I tried everything and do not want to resort to a slide hammer if I can find an alternative. Is it possible to drop the transmission with the inner axle still in?

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,205 Posts
I’m getting ready to drop the transmission for a clutch replacement. Upon taking out the drivers side axle it pulled off and now the inner cv is inside the transmission. I tried everything and do not want to resort to a slide hammer if I can find an alternative. Is it possible to drop the transmission with the inner axle still in?
The driver's side axle has to be driven out from the inside after the passenger side is removed. Be careful to only strike the axle and not the bearing. I used a long 1/2" extension.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Or you can rent a tool from autozone. Its a crowfoot that attaches to a slide hammer. I think they called it a Mercury cv removal tool. Its small enough to get between the trans case and the cv. Also if you mangle the retaining c clip, usually Napa or some other parts stores that deal with trucks, will have a big kit of them for you to compare to, but a new cv axle should come with one. Driving it in takes patience and a block of wood with a dead blow hammer. Place the block of wood up against the outer metal edge of the inner cv, and tap on it until the cv fully seats. Some heavy grease around the splines helps.

·
Registered
16,026 Posts
You haven't tried everything as I commonly pop them right out using a standard crowbar.

The secret is being smart enough to not load the inner sideways to where it locks in harder, you specifically load it in the out direction only. Not doing so will have you beat until the end of all time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts