Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to wire up my fog lights so I can turn them on whenever I would like. Where can I buy and inline diode? I'm having a hard time finding one. Thanks.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
All Diodes are inline, so I'm confused by your confusion.

You buy a Diode by resistance, the colored bands on them, or in the case of a ballast resistor it will have the Ohm printed on it.

Can't you just jump power from the relay like the older ones?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> You buy a Diode by resistance, the colored bands on them, or in the case of a ballast resistor it will have the Ohm printed on it.

Your sure about that? That sound more like a resistor than a diode, e.g., I haven't seen diodes with colored bands on it.

Diode qualities typically are not resistance, but rather amperage, forward and reverse voltages, and leakage.

digikey.com has almost everything, including detailed data sheets, or you could just try radioshack:

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=diode&origkw=diode&sr=1

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Ive never seen fogs require Diodes OR resistors.. if there going to be switched with an aftermarket switch I always use a relay wired directly from a 15amp dedicated fuse from the fusebox and the switch normal this way theres no overloading of the switch and in case of a failure the fuse/relay take the hit and not the electrical system..

Resistors cause a voltage drop in the lines and diodes make the line one way only which are useless for open run lighting and in fact putting a resistor on a normal bulb will kill the resistor from the spike.. resistors are mainly used for Neon/LED applications

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
> You buy a Diode by resistance, the colored bands on them, or in the case of a ballast resistor it will have the Ohm printed on it.

Your sure about that? That sound more like a resistor than a diode, e.g., I haven't seen diodes with colored bands on it.

Diode qualities typically are not resistance, but rather amperage, forward and reverse voltages, and leakage.

digikey.com has almost everything, including detailed data sheets, or you could just try radioshack:

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=diode&origkw=diode&sr=1

bah, My mind is not functioning today [bigcry]

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> bah, My mind is not functioning today

I've had days like that. Unfortunately, when I have them I often don't recognize it!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Of course what you want to do is illegal across the country. Fog lights are only permitted to be functional with low beam headlights. And it's not some stupid regulation, either. Be forwarned that if you plan to drive at night with only fogs (like I see some do from time to time), you will have cross traffic pulling into your path all the time. The fogs aren't as bright as headlights, they're closer together, and lower than headlights. To someone looking at your car approaching, your car is going to look much farther away than it is. I know- I damned near got t-boned one night just that way.

·
Registered
433 Posts
^^^^ The legality depends on the state. Here in Indiana, we can run just fogs as long as your amber lights are also on. However the only thing you have to be careful of here is the cops have the descression to decide if your lights are insufficiently lighting the road. If you put Xenon's or brighter fogs in you don't have to worry. Here in the city, I run just fogs and can see fine, however out in the country the headlights are very much needed. So it just depends on the state.

·
Registered
531 Posts
^^^^ The legality depends on the state. Here in Indiana, we can run just fogs as long as your amber lights are also on. However the only thing you have to be careful of here is the cops have the descression to decide if your lights are insufficiently lighting the road. If you put Xenon's or brighter fogs in you don't have to worry. Here in the city, I run just fogs and can see fine, however out in the country the headlights are very much needed. So it just depends on the state.
check you local state laws as far as headlight height. in most states including mine there is a minmum and maximum for height on them. so if you just ride with only the fog lights on at night then your in the wrong due to the height from the road(basicly the officer can say that the fog lights are your headlights due to it being the only light being projected from the vehicle forward). also as far as fog lights go, i know hear they cant be on while high beams are on. only time fogs can burn are with low beams. atleast thats with this state and most of the time thats the same with most. (thats why most factory fog lights go off when you hit the high beams).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts