Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m in the market for a CAI and I’ve come across 2 that I’m interested in. Firstly, the Injen SP Series that boasts a 15 HP gain and a 13 lbs/ft gain. Secondly, (the most popular) the K&N 69 Series Typhoon that claims a 10 HP gain and an unknown torque gain. The Injen is about $60 cheaper than the K&N so that has some influence over my decision. Does anyone have the Injen and if so what do you think about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
I had the Injen. I like their stuff, well made and work well (In my Nissans), but with these cars the hot air under the hood affects the engine operation too much for me. I got the RS intake for about $50 and put my AEM dry filter in it. Works great.

·
Registered
120 Posts
+3 for RS box and dry flow filter, just in case you need more assurance that a CAI isn't worth the money. It's just an expensive noise maker (induction noise at WOT).

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
No need.
All you have to do is swap lids (they fit each other) and take it for a drive. The lag down low with the stock box is gone, even with the stock filter in place. I did it and it worked great. After that I replaced Injected's tune with Tom's tuning done with the RS box. Car has never run better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
it looks to me the RS is just a hole cut in the lid so a waste of money. Even with the stock airbox the engine sucks on a hot day.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I'm fine with a snorkel delete and drop-in K&N and really the only time a better flowing intake will make a difference is at WOT otherwise the restriction is the throttle plate.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
No intake is giving you 15whp gain alone. Go with the RS box with a good filter and call it done [:)]
Some of the dynos show getting close to it though...13whp and I believe it, getting 35 to 45whp gain from just intake, exhaust, header and tune.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Some of the dynos show getting close to it though...13whp and I believe it, getting 35 to 45whp gain from just intake, exhaust, header and tune.
There enlies the key to their dyno graphs (see the bold in your quote).....

It's a bit slight of hand, and a bit cheeky, but no intake is giving to give you that kind of power. Mighty Car Mods mythbusted intakes and filters. They were able to make power with a custom intake, but only in the range of about 4 hp....and I won't spoil what they did to get it. But I'll reiterate what everyone's been saying, cold air intakes do nothing for power. 15hp is a pipe dream. Your money would be better spent on a tune.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
The only way to get to the bottom of this debate is to test with stock box, stock box with filter, stock box with tune, stock box with filter and tune. Then intakes like the RS with and without tune. Compare graphs.

Who's up for it? [poke]

·
Trump 2016
12,956 Posts
What they do is put big fans blowing towards the intake which you will not see. Agree waste of money.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Could always swap to the 2.3 mustang throttle body.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FF Mobile
Even with a huge TB an intake will still really only make a difference with the throttle wide open and anything less the restriction is always the throttle plate.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've had both k&n and injen. Out of those two I would reccomend the k&n. On ebay they have the AF dynamic intake kit which is the exact same thing as k&n but a fraction of the price. Hope this helps. Intake wont do much till you get other supporting mods and then get tuned.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Even with a huge TB an intake will still really only make a difference with the throttle wide open and anything less the restriction is always the throttle plate.
Should improve throttle response as well, but would need a tune to show any real gains.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts