Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question my car won't start, it barely cranks but i can hear the starter clicking so thats not it, then i olmed the battery and its saying 12.34 volts so its not the battery or the alternator, i had it started for about 5 seconds and it shut off on its own and the entire car shook and sputtered so im woundering could it be a bad injector? or bad spark plugs? has anyone delt with something like this that can point me in the right direction
thank you,

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Check he spark plugs. You could also have a bad fuel filter or fuel pump.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we tested the spark plugs and the # 2 & 3 plugs were not sparking so we olmed the ignition coil and that was the problem the ignition coil isn't fireing so im going to get a new one and hopefully thats it. Thanks for your help you guys

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I'm not certain how you tested everything......but if the engine "barely cranked", you have more problems than simply a coil. Unless the temperature was extremely low, you engine should crank normally.....it might not start, but it should crank.

Battery testing cannot be done simply by using a volt-meter. You have to put a load on the battery as you're checking it. Even an almost completely dead battery will read about 12V across the terminals just sitting there...

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
take the battery to autozone and have them test it to be sure

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think it only barely cranked because we were running the battery down testing the wires for a spark, and testing the injectors. it kinda explains why my computer keeps telling me random misfire in cylinder 2 and 3. but it kinda makes me mad that we just finished spending 500$ 2 months ago because this problem occured and canadian tire said it was just gunked up injectors and me and my dad found that the ignition coil wasn't fireing. but i won't know until sometime this week if thats all thats wrong with the car because the ignition coil im hopeing will be here around wensday or thursday. but ill keep you guys posted and let you know.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Glad I could help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i put in the new ignition coil and it cranked twice and started up perfectly,(i think it only cranked because we ran the battery low by testing everything), the check engine light went off and so far no problems, thanks everyone for your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts