Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well some rain came down on Southern Cal this past week and now my lug nuts are rusted. I've never had this problem on any vehicle I've ever owned. I want to buy some tomorrow but I was wondering if theres a certain kind I should buy or do I just go down to Dicount Tire and ask for some decent nuts. Is there a certain size or thread or should they be able to help me with any question I might have? I have aftermarket wheels that are gunmetal, was wondering if you could get nuts in that color. The polished ones aren't bad since I have a polished lip, but thought maybe gunmetal nuts might look a lil better. Also, how much should I expect to pay? Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I think chrome lug nuts would look better than gun metal, I haven't seen gun metal ones so I'm not 100% what it would look like. When I purchased my OZ rims from Discount Tire Co., they threw in the lug nuts for free. They were the kind where you would require a key to open all of them. I think it was around $40, but I'm sure they have cheaper ones.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I have a set of McGard lugnuts, just because I got tired of mine corroding and falling apart. While pricey, they are built amazingly. I think you can get them in either chrome or black. I got mine from Summit Racing.

Also, I've seen similiar ones at Walmart and NAPA for much cheaper, but not sure if they are guarentted for life.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
i would think the dish of the wheels would make a difference. otherwise, why not just use your stockers? the size is 12mm x1.5mm pitch, according to kragen's computer. if i were you, WORM, i'd head to discount tire and then to pep boys. let them see the wheel to make sure the lugs will work.

Mike

PS- when you find some, ket me know bc i'll probably be changing mine soon, too (since they'll probably be the same as yours)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm installing my T/B and Iceman today, so I'll head down to Discount Tire tomorrow and see if they can't hook me up with something. I'll definately get back to you Mike about what I find and how much.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Gorilla makes some fairly good, as well as inexpensive lug nuts (about 25.00 a set). They have both regular chrome/ acorn style as well as tuner nuts for pretty much the same price. Summit and JC Whitney use to handle them.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I went to Discount Tire today and got some lugs (chrome). They cover the entire lug instead of being open like the ones that came with the Revs. Not sure of the brand. They told me they use to carry the ones I had on, but quality was so poor they discontinued it. $2.00 per & $2.50 for the key. What I don't understand is why bother having to need a key if every set of these lugs has the same exact key. Thought I'd give you the heads up Mike when yours begin to rust

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
wait, they're sending me open-ended lugs? WEAK! those aren't "tuner" lugs! damn it, i'm so pissed about this whole thing...

i'll probably just end up buying and using a set i have at work. $20 after my discount gets me 20 lugs, 5 lockers, the key, and 4 chrome valve stems for when i have the tires removed/replaced. thank for the heads up, though

btw- the key may LOOK the same as others, but they're usually slightly different so that you will need the key. at least that's the way they are with the ones i sell

Mike

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike, I assuming you're gonna get the same nuts I did and yeah, theyre the open ones, but who knows maybe you'll get lucky and get some decent ones. Oh, and another problem I had with Speedandstyle was when I bought from their auction, the picture of the wheels had the REV on the center caps in GREY, when I received them, the color was RED. Wasn't too pleased since my car is Forrest Green and I thought it made it look like Christmas was here already. I had asked WHOA a long time ago about hooking me up with some grey ones but never got a reply.

This is how I know the keys are the same.I'm driving home from Discount, and someone cuts me off, I gotta make a hard swirve and the nuts go flying from the envelope on my passenger seat all over the floor. I get home and gather em all up but I can't seem to find the key, even my girlfriend helps me search the car. I call them up tell them they yipped me. I go to pick another up for free. Driving home I make a turn and hearn a clank behind my seat, reach around on the floor and BAM there it is. So I have 2 identical keys.

Keep us posted on your wheels.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
and they both fit? well, that sucks. defeats the whole purpose of a key IMO.

the wheels should be here in a couple hours. i'll let you know what happens.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts