Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents have the infamous valve cover leak on their 2002...

BTW, no leak on older 2000 with more miles (also has older design gasket with much more rubber)

Anyway, I've used Hylomar in the past with good results on other vehicles as an insurance policy

Can anybody think of any problems with using Hylomar with a new gasket?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Yes, you wasted money on the new gasket.
Use one or the other, not both. Old worn out gasket and RTV/gasket maker fine (Mine is actually RTV'd).

... and you don't need to use Hylomar, I wouldn't being it's not made any longer. Just use Permatex Grey.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I've had my valve cover gasket off at least a dozen times.... same gasket, no RTV, no sealer what so ever and its never leaked.

Have you tried taking it off, cleaning the gasket and the contact areas and just reinstall the gasket??? Be sure to tq the bolts down in order... that will help keep down on the chances of leaking.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I know a lot of the non SVT zetec valve covers leak, mine DD and my brothers car have leaked and we have replaced them. SO far so good, I just replacecd it with a new gasket and have had no problems.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
i got a gasket from autozone from felpro or something like that for my leaky one. it was 20 bucks but i have taken the cover off a few times since and no leaks at all. best 20 bucks i spent in a while

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
what pattern/order do you tq the bolts in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts