Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a fairly inexspensive exhaust system for a 01 ZX3 I've got a rebuilt motor, intake, computer module, and nitrous but ran out of money when it came to an exhaust. I want something that will actually give me some power but isnt gonna sound like a piece of s*#t honda. Any ideas?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've never heard anything bad about the exhausts from Trubendz. They offer good quality cat-backs with a good selection of mufflers (Magnaflow, Borla, Flowmaster) and even though the stainless-steel kits may be a bit more expensive, they'll outlive the car and you'll never regret the decision. A ricer sound will depend on other mods (mainly header) but the exhaust itself will sound nice.

·
Registered
240 Posts
mbrp they have a sale on right now but if your willing to dish out a few extra bucks definitely go with the borla

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
MBRP all the way, T-304 stainless including the welds, awesome sound, highly recommended I'd say. That would be my choice. Cheapest (in price) quality system out there right now for the focus. Awesome fitment as well, easy install, excellent customer service (Canadian Company) which is smaller then say BORLA or MAGNAFLOW and they make up for it for sure.

www.ford-focus.mbrp.com (sound clips also on site).

·
Nope, Chuck Testa
6,442 Posts
I would also say the MBRP, I just got mine a few weeks ago for 200+50 shipping. It sounds awesome. I'm really pleased

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Either get the MBRP or buy a new muffler and get someone to build you a custom exhaust.

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
S2 said:
MBRP all the way, T-304 stainless including the welds, awesome sound, highly recommended I'd say. That would be my choice. Cheapest (in price) quality system out there right now for the focus. Awesome fitment as well, easy install, excellent customer service (Canadian Company) which is smaller then say BORLA or MAGNAFLOW and they make up for it for sure.

www.ford-focus.mbrp.com (sound clips also on site).
absolutly i'm ordering the 2 1/2 svt @ end of month....230+sh. can't go wrong there[thumb]

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was gonna shell out the $900 to get the Focus Sport, Sport exhaust (including header and flex) but now that my g/f and i are getting married and having a baby i have to put it on hold....for one the money and two the amount of sound will be too much for a baby....so back to you....go with the MBRP i have heard nothing but great things about it since i have been here...good luck

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
MBRP or a Trubendz setup. If you go with trubendz, go with a borla muffler.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I don't see why custom would be a problem get a muffler shop to bend you some tubing and weld everything in place you supply the muffler and it won't cost you to much. I don't plan on paying up to 500 dollars for exhaust when i can buy a magnaflow muffler and get some bigger tubing and have the exhaust place do it and spend less than 120 any day of the weak and see the same results. It won't be all fancy looking with chrome or cer. coating but it will work all the same.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
You can find a shop with a Mandrel bender without too much difficulty. You can have an exhaust just as good as the $300+ for way less than $100 as long as you shop right. Replace the muffler with a good used Borla or Flowmaster and replace the resonator with a $15 glasspack from Pep Boys. And replace the cat with... nothing...

If you're having it done yourself, you can always have them whip up an ORP for you at the same time. have them run it without the cat, and then cut the section where the cat would be and put 4-bolt connetors in. do the same on the cat to make it fit. That way you can swap them out whenever you want without too much difficulty. No emissions test in Iowa, but I need to stay legal for SCCA G-stock...

·
Registered
88 Posts
def. save up a fw extra bucks[8D] and get the borla, thats what i have and i would have nothing other than it has great sound but i guess it is a little pricey.

save up and buy something that you will be happy with, not something that is cheaper and later on you are like, "damn, wish i would have spent and extra $80 and got the exhaust i really wanted!"[thumb]

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does an exhaust actually make more power? I had a "custom" one done at an exhaust shop on my last car and I never noticed a difference except for sound. I looked at the mbrp and I saw that its a 2 1/4 in, the shop that built my motor recomended that I go with a 3in because I pushin a whole lot more power with the nos, think it's necessary?

·
Registered
88 Posts
most foci's only run 3 inch exhaust if they have a turbo[thumb] i dont think you need a 3 inch exhaust just for your setup

and as for the ?? about custom exhaust helping or the cat back helping, you would notice gains if you took it to a dyno and yu may also notice a little diff in driving,but.........when you buy a new exhaust you HOPE that it will make a difference, snd it does sound louder so most likely people think that new exhaust helps alot more than it did......sure it gave a few extra horse but most of the gains are all in our heads [cheers]

but thats just my 2 cents, and you know what opinions are like.... [bootyshak every body has one.....[screwy]

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
chuck_blankenship said:
def. save up a fw extra bucks[8D] and get the borla, thats what i have and i would have nothing other than it has great sound but i guess it is a little pricey.

save up and buy something that you will be happy with, not something that is cheaper and later on you are like, "damn, wish i would have spent and extra $80 and got the exhaust i really wanted!"[thumb]
I agree. I went with a cheaper exhaust at first, didn't like it and shelled out more money and got something I wish I would have saved for in the first place.

Good luck with whatever you decide[thumb]

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Thats exactly why ricers think there fast with a fart can.

Anyone know if you can put another muffler onto a Trubendz? I want a Trubendz 2.5 but Id rather have a Borla muffler than a Magnaflow...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts