Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lookin at individual throttle bodies was wondering what everyone thoughts are. Also was wondering if 4 age throttle bodies would work seeing as the are about 1 tenth the price.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
First off, you need a set that can be adjusted to work together, such as a set off a Motorcycle. (Don't know what "4 age throttle bodies" are)

And before trying this, besides TB setup, air cleaner setup & throttle cable hookup, you need to consider what stand alone system for tuning the engine you're going to use.

Megasquirt?

·
Registered
202 Posts
First off, you need a set that can be adjusted to work together, such as a set off a Motorcycle. (Don't know what "4 age throttle bodies" are)

And before trying this, besides TB setup, air cleaner setup & throttle cable hookup, you need to consider what stand alone system for tuning the engine you're going to use.

Megasquirt?
The motorcycle ones are a cheaper but much more difficult to get setup right. finding the right set that will match up inline with your intake portswhile keeping the linkage working, rigging up a throttle cable, having an in take manifold made to mate the two together. but the biggest hurdle is in the engine management like sailor said. Hope you know how to tune or know a good one.

or if you have deep pockets or just want to drool go here

http://www.jenvey.co.uk/

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
ONLY $1,700 for the ITB's alone didn't come off right I guess, it's a lot of money for what you get & you're not near done at that point as twiggss emphasized.

If you're up for dropping a LOT of money, forced induction is a better route.

ITB's are most popular for racing series where N/A is required, or other places where tuning will be done anyways (engine swap like the one I listed earlier).

·
Registered
202 Posts
ONLY $1,700 for the ITB's alone didn't come off right I guess, it's a lot of money for what you get & you're not near done at that point as twiggss emphasized.

If you're up for dropping a LOT of money, forced induction is a better route.

ITB's are most popular for racing series where N/A is required, or other places where tuning will be done anyways (engine swap like the one I listed earlier).
ITB's on a street car are pointless as you have to rev stupid high to get/gain and type of performance. If you are going to a strickly "LOOK at me!" then they''ll do it.

while we are spending your money. bump your compression, (were talking race gas comp here) port the shiz out of your head(big valves HD springs), and get some big ass cams.

you won't have a power band till 5000 or so but you'll be knocking on 10k revs.

I feel like I'm back on VWvortex. [giddy]

·
Registered
91 Posts
(Don't know what "4 age throttle bodies" are)
4AGE is the code for a Toyota engine, which could be had with ITB's from the factory on some overseas variants. Much like motorcycle throttle bodies, used 4AGE throttle bodies are pretty popular with DIY'ers.

If I was going for fancy ITB's, I'd probably go with the smaller Raceline DTH set...But I'm too cheap for that, so I've been putting together a GSXR based ITB setup. I was lucky enough to score a Duratec DCOE manifold on the cheap, even if it's not as nicely finished as the Jenvey piece, and have also picked up a set of 42mm GSXR 750/1000 throttle bodies of the years that are able to be individually respaced to match the DCOE pattern. I'm not sure if they'd be 'too small' for even a stock Duratec, but there are even cheaper and more readily available 38mm GSXR 600 throttle bodies of certain years that were also able to be individually respaced. Since mines going in a Vintage-ish looking car I specifically went for the ones that had the manual high-idle contol that can be actuated via a 'choke' cable, but they are available with an electronically actuated high-idle as well that would probably be better suited to more modern installations.

Alternatively, it is absolutely feasible to fabricate a manifold to connect the throttle bodies to the engine. The advantage to this being that pretty much any throttle body set could be used, as the manifold to throttle body interface could also be made to match the original throttle body spacing.

It's not really applicable to me, but as far as the ECU is concerned on Focus installations, is there any chance that the stock unit could be tuned to handle ITB's that are enclosed in a sealed airbox utilizing a MAF?

Another challenge in a Focus would probably include finding enough space to fit it all.

you won't have a power band till 5000 or so but you'll be knocking on 10k revs.
Isn't that kind of like saying a tubo won't work well on a street engine because it won't spool until 4000rpm and will need substantial head work to properly support the massive surge of high rpm power? Sure that could be true, if you pick the wrong one for the application. But 6 inch and a 12 inch runner lengths will not behave the same, nor will 38mm and 48mm body diameters behave the same. While I agree that it would be considerably easier to just install a Cosworth style manifold, I would be surprised if a well implemented ITB setup could not be put together for for nice streetable gains in addition to the cool-factor.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Sealed box with a single filter and MAF would be the way to go on a focus

·
Registered
202 Posts
4AGE is the code for a Toyota engine, which could be had with ITB's from the factory on some overseas variants. Much like motorcycle throttle bodies, used 4AGE throttle bodies are pretty popular with DIY'ers.

If I was going for fancy ITB's, I'd probably go with the smaller Raceline DTH set...But I'm too cheap for that, so I've been putting together a GSXR based ITB setup. I was lucky enough to score a Duratec DCOE manifold on the cheap, even if it's not as nicely finished as the Jenvey piece, and have also picked up a set of 42mm GSXR 750/1000 throttle bodies of the years that are able to be individually respaced to match the DCOE pattern. I'm not sure if they'd be 'too small' for even a stock Duratec, but there are even cheaper and more readily available 38mm GSXR 600 throttle bodies of certain years that were also able to be individually respaced. Since mines going in a Vintage-ish looking car I specifically went for the ones that had the manual high-idle contol that can be actuated via a 'choke' cable, but they are available with an electronically actuated high-idle as well that would probably be better suited to more modern installations.

Alternatively, it is absolutely feasible to fabricate a manifold to connect the throttle bodies to the engine. The advantage to this being that pretty much any throttle body set could be used, as the manifold to throttle body interface could also be made to match the original throttle body spacing.

It's not really applicable to me, but as far as the ECU is concerned on Focus installations, is there any chance that the stock unit could be tuned to handle ITB's that are enclosed in a sealed airbox utilizing a MAF?

Another challenge in a Focus would probably include finding enough space to fit it all.

Isn't that kind of like saying a tubo won't work well on a street engine because it won't spool until 4000rpm and will need substantial head work to properly support the massive surge of high rpm power? Sure that could be true, if you pick the wrong one for the application. But 6 inch and a 12 inch runner lengths will not behave the same, nor will 38mm and 48mm body diameters behave the same. While I agree that it would be considerably easier to just install a Cosworth style manifold, I would be surprised if a well implemented ITB setup could not be put together for for nice streetable gains in addition to the cool-factor.
awesome reply! glad to know there are some people on here that can spit out more than 1-2 words on a subject. [like]

Yes ITB's could work if you put them in a sealed box (I think it was BMW that tried this in one of their cars) with the MAF feeding them but for many that kinda defeats the "cool" purpose of having them.

as far as my comment on rpm range you did touch on something I didn't add, runner length and ITB size will also play a key factor. Thanks for catching that.

Like I said replying to this thread it brings up many topics that have been covered on VWvortex. People think just grabbing a set of GSXR TB's and slapping them on a intake that is maybe 2" long will yield the power of good to grace their engine compartment. but then people in the know come along and shatter their dreams.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tee Hee

Stock Gixers have intake trumpets in the airbox (tuned for higher rpm than the Focus) and owners can't understand why a set of K&N's instead isn't the big improvement they expected.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Im not posting to piss on your parade or start a dispute. It seems that itbs in a sealed box fed by a maf would be awfully similar to a cosworth intake? I do love the look of shiny itbs on a race engine. Mmff has a project car with them. It looks awesome... cuz theres 8 of em.

After looking again its just the cross ram intake, not itbs

·
Registered
91 Posts
It seems that itbs in a sealed box fed by a maf would be awfully similar to a cosworth intake?
Yes that's pretty much what the Cosworth intake manifold is emulating, but no they still don't quite work the same as a result of the throttle location relative to the plenum volume.

I like how these videos show what can be done with an otherwise stock Focus D20 having essentially added just GSXR throttle bodies, Megasquirt, and DIY header/exhaust...And for a mere pittance compared to a Cosworth built engine.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
That's awesome vids. Seems like they run great w/ more fuel & air fed to them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts