Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv'e been reaserching these individual tb induction kits and everyone says theres is the best. (no suprise there) but im not sure exactly how these things work. If I understand correctly then its like straping 4 TBs right to the cylender head where the plenum used to be. Is that the gist of it? and if so, wouldent that be damaging to run your engine with no filter? thanks guys I feel like I should understand what these things do for me before I decide if I want one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
yeah, thats pretty much what they are. its not really practical for a street car and I don't know of any foci running it. Don't know if an itb setup would even fit, it will be loud and probably not legal. If you really want to do it it would require extensive engine management work, probably a standalone ecu, maybe injectors. it requires map sensors, don't think sct is capable enough. There are filter systems that fit over the trumpets. check out this guys site to see a duratec with itbs, I thought he had a picture of the filter setup but now I can't find it.
http://www.biggles.net/build.html
It would be cool to see it done and it would make over 200 hp with a header but a cosworth intake manifold is probably a better option.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dreamed about a ITB setup on a couple of different cars I owned.... too expensive and not practical.

·
Registered
34 Posts
TB's are the way to big horsepower. They do require a separate ECU, many of which you can map on the road with a wide band lambda.
There is even an ECU you can build yourself called the megasquirt see www.megasquirt.info

There are many different filters available for TB's, pipercross being one of the bigger manufacturers

You can get a pretty close map for pretty well any Duratec spec now. then just tweak it.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
We havent done a Focus yet, but we have done several others(mostly GTi's) but i can say that they do better on the street than you would think. The last GTi we did was an 8 valve head ,aba block and it laid down right at 230hp to the tires. The driveability on the steet was much better than we expected and had decent bottom end also. The only catch that i can think of would be OBD2 inspections. If your state requires emmisions inspections through the obd port, you would have a problem. Every system we have done requires a stand alone fuel managment system which would eliminate that type of inspection.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It's going to be very difficult to find the room in the engine bay to mount itb's.

They make great power, but they're just not practical for a street driven focus.

The ecu cost alone make it very difficult to do an itb setup.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Does anyone know where you could buy a ITB kit WITH tuning for the Duratec engine? The tuning portion is a must with the kit.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I have seen them in many longitudinal applications, but never in a transverse application with the intake facing the firewall like on the Focus.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the one above on my 2.0 Duratec, it comes with a variety of map (eprom's) from Weber to suit various states of tune, however it is not user programmable.

ECU's are plentiful in the UK, with manufacturer's like Omex, MBE, EFI, DTA, etc.... to name a few. All of these can be mapped on a rolling road or even on the street if there is enough long straits available to hold a specified rev for 5-10 secs. All of the above have base maps available for various Duratec tuning states.

The throttle bodies are also plentiful, with Jenvey being the most common. Many other brands are available, short trumpet stacks are available for tight installations.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
He has a lotus 7 kit car. It's rear wheel drive so everything has been rotated 90degrees, iirc the intake manifold is on the left and the exhaust on the right.

We really don't have room to do a good clean install of itb's. I'd love to do it, but I think I can do a better and cleaner install with a manifold.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I don't think you understand what's going on here.

They're using the duratec to power a rwd kit car, of course you rotate it.

The whole point is that they need a light and powerful motor for a track toy, the duratec nicely fits the bill.

http://www.caterham.co.uk/showroom/index.htm

look at csr trim and you'll see what we're talking about.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Caterham is the bomb! I got the chance to get a few hot (passenger) laps in a couple at an EVO trackday at Brands Hatch and I have been pining for one ever since.

A Super 7 CSR has nearly the same power-to-weight ratio as a Ferrari F50, just so you get an idea of just how bloody quick they are. 0-100-0 in less than 10 seconds with no ABS, 1.3+ Gs on the skidpad without slicks, etc etc. Among the fastest street-legal cars in existence.

You can get them in the US, and the top of the range Superlight will cost you less than $50K all told...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Caterham is the bomb!
yeah you cannot believe how good they are with a torquey Duratec in it. I take 8 seconds a lap off Ferrari 360 Modena's around the local (GP standard) race circuit.
Have a poke around my site below, there is a fair bit of Duratec tuning info, links and the build history of my car and engine

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
That's fantastic man. The one I really remember had the MG X-Power in it. What surprised me most is how it didn't really feel quite as fast as I thought, simply because it has so little weight and inertia. The MkI 996 GT3 I rode in right after that FELT faster, but we kept getting passed by the better Caterhams.

I have a Caterham cap I wear quite often, still waiting for someone to recognize it. I also have a print my artist mother did of the FR500 Evo after it broke the Nurburgring record hanging right over my stairs so I see it every time I go downstairs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts