Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Just picked up my focus this week. Currently my ZuneHD is useless with MFT. After an hour commute it only indexes about 150 songs, the whole time saying "Indexing Device." How long is this supposed to take? And why does it start over every time the car is turned on/off?

Thanks for any help you can provide, my dealer also gave me the wrong owners manual (2011 Ford Escape?) so im out of luck there for a little while.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi All, Just picked up my focus this week. Currently my ZuneHD is useless with MFT. After an hour commute it only indexes about 150 songs, the whole time saying "Indexing Device." How long is this supposed to take? And why does it start over every time the car is turned on/off?

Thanks for any help you can provide, my dealer also gave me the wrong owners manual (2011 Ford Escape?) so im out of luck there for a little while.
I think MFT has issues when all players are hooked up directly. I've moved all my songs over to a USB stick. I have 1750 songs on my USB stick and if I have the Gracenote database option off it indexes in less than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My 32GB ipod touch didn't take forever and it's got ~17GB of music on it which is ~2300 tracks. I also have Gracenote turned off which I think is the default setting.

I've seen a few cases where the device's firmware version made a difference in it's operation with
MFT. Before messing with that though, it may be worth resetting Sync as mentioned here. There have been a few issues where a device wouldn't show up in MFT at all and a reset got it working.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

There are a bunch of different threads that reference this problem in different parts of the forum. I've read through a bunch to try and get some help/avoid some problems. I don't have my car yet so I don't know any of this for fact but it seems that MFT has a problem with large media devices hooked up directly. The larger and the more files, the larger the problem. Some people have referenced that they have transferred the same amount of material to a same-sized flash drive or SD card and it worked much better.

Again, don't know this for a fact but might be worth a try in your case (and if you do, please post and to let people know how it worked for you).

·
Registered
86 Posts

I don't know if you use iTunes or have SyncMyRide but they have a page on the SyncMyRide support site that has a program you can download and run which fixes errors in your iTunes files. I was reluctant to do it, but it helped with the indexing. It found several hundred errors in my library. I have over 40gb of music on an iPod. I still get the "building media commands" message a lot but not the indexing.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't know if you use iTunes or have SyncMyRide but they have a page on the SyncMyRide support site that has a program you can download and run which fixes errors in your iTunes files. I was reluctant to do it, but it helped with the indexing. It found several hundred errors in my library. I have over 40gb of music on an iPod. I still get the "building media commands" message a lot but not the indexing.
I haven't had any problems with my files but this is good to know.

·
Banned
571 Posts
I had 3500 songs on an Apple 3GS. Took about an hour the first time and about 15 min every other time I changed the music on the phone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after the initial indexing, if I can get it to finish, it should only have to update when I changed music on the player?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Using the sync my itunes program solved the issues I had with my iPod.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It indexed my 32GB (4000 songs) thumb drive in about an hour of driving. If you switch it off during indexing, it appears to pick back up from the previous point and continues.

Songs lists, album covers and album/artist/song info seem to be working correctly.

·
Registered
291 Posts

the owners manuals are online, try googling it

·
Registered
548 Posts
I was able to index 4000 songs on my 64gb ipod during the test drive.

"Building media commands" however took a decade and never finished in time.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Don't have my car yet but thanks to this thread, I have downloaded and run the Sync My iTunes program. Ran it and it found and fixed hundreds of errors. Re-sync on the iPod going on now. Hopefully you all saved me a world of headache when I do actually get the car!

·
Registered
548 Posts
What is Sync My iTunes?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
What is Sync My iTunes?
Downloadable software from the SyncMyRide website that cleans up your iTunes library so Sync/MFT won't run into problems indexing it (supposedly, as I said, don't have my car yet but others seem to have indicated it worked).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts