Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the following video would work on the focus key fob. Most key fobs will get a range increase simply by touching your chin while activating it but this mod looks like it may work even better. It involves adding a length of wire to the existing antenna inside the key fob.

·
Registered
747 Posts
sounds like a great idea, won't have my car for a week or two but maybe someone can pry open their IA key

·
Registered
401 Posts
I wish fords had a longer range. we certainly need it. Heck my friend has a chevy and she can sound her horn from clear across a parking lot.

·
Registered
781 Posts
can't say i'd want my IA key to have a range longer than maybe 5' from the vehicle. just think you're 500' away and the doors unlock. plenty of time for anyone standing near the vehicle to open it, grab something, and run off with a nice head start.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can't say i'd want my IA key to have a range longer than maybe 5' from the vehicle. just think you're 500' away and the doors unlock. plenty of time for anyone standing near the vehicle to open it, grab something, and run off with a nice head start.
I agree, the IA key might be better off with the smaller range and for obvious reasons. For the rest of us non IA key fob carriers, we want a reasonably longer range. I keep kicking myself for not getting the titanium.[chair][chair]

·
Registered
263 Posts
The range that you can press the buttons on your key fob and the IA are two different things all together. I can get a good 30 feet away from my car and still use the buttons to lock/unlock, but the IA only works within a few feet.

·
Registered
495 Posts
LOL I am glad to see others aware of this people look at me like Im crazy when I do it! my brother thought I was nuts[goofydrunk]
lol really??!! this works? i mean i heard of different things before like how you can unlock a car over the phone by holding the fob to the reciever and holding the phone to the car.....it doesnt work btw..lol maybe ill do some experiments holding it to my chin [hah]to see what kind of range this helps with...

·
Banned
363 Posts
lol really??!! this works? i mean i heard of different things before like how you can unlock a car over the phone by holding the fob to the reciever and holding the phone to the car.....it doesnt work btw..lol maybe ill do some experiments holding it to my chin [hah]to see what kind of range this helps with...
Only works if you stand on one leg and hop backwards under a full moon. [shhh]

·
Registered
781 Posts
I think it was on MythBusters, holding the fob under your chin while looking at your car will increase your range. The shape of the skull is pretty good at directing the signal towards where you are looking.

What no one looked into is how much radiation you are sucking up and getting cancer. [mecry]

·
Registered
882 Posts
lol that's not how it works. The IA portion of the remote doesn't use radio frequencies, the unlock/lock mechanisms do.

It's too complicated to explain in a small post, but basically the car can read magnetic fields surrounding it. When the fob enters that magnetic field it changes the resonance. The car notices the change, and locks or unlocks the doors as needed.

That's *incredibly* simplistic, but should explain how it works fairly well. It doesn't activate this system until you actually touch the door handles/hatch. The handles and hatch can sense density, so when your hand makes contact with the handle it senses the water in your hand being denser than the air and activates the magnetic field, which is then what the IA system looks for.

Everyone understand what I just wrote? lol I've been workin 10 hour days this week so far with not enough coffee so not sure it all came out how I thought about it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think for me the only benefit for having a long range on a remote is when you lose your car in a parking lot and you sound the horn to find it. The point about remote start and unlocking is a very good one.

·
Registered
683 Posts
lol that's not how it works. The IA portion of the remote doesn't use radio frequencies, the unlock/lock mechanisms do.

It's too complicated to explain in a small post, but basically the car can read magnetic fields surrounding it. When the fob enters that magnetic field it changes the resonance. The car notices the change, and locks or unlocks the doors as needed.

That's *incredibly* simplistic, but should explain how it works fairly well. It doesn't activate this system until you actually touch the door handles/hatch. The handles and hatch can sense density, so when your hand makes contact with the handle it senses the water in your hand being denser than the air and activates the magnetic field, which is then what the IA system looks for.

Everyone understand what I just wrote? lol I've been workin 10 hour days this week so far with not enough coffee so not sure it all came out how I thought about it.
I understood and appreciate the simple terms you used to secribe that functionality. It seemed like there was something else going on w/ the IA system other than RF. [scratch]

·
Registered
781 Posts

actually it works on RFID and with a more powerful transmitter and more sensitive receiver they could increase the range. plenty of rfid sniffers out there now that can read your chips from a few hundred feet away. no magnets involved.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
actually it works on RFID and with a more powerful transmitter and more sensitive receiver they could increase the range. plenty of rfid sniffers out there now that can read your chips from a few hundred feet away. no magnets involved.
Not sure how old this article is but it was quite an interesting read: Are RFID systems secure?

·
Registered
519 Posts

Lol, you're partially correct, but where did you find this info on resonance, magnetic fields and density?

Anyway, the handles use capacitive sensors (I've been using similar cap senses for a side project at work). When they detect a different dielectric than air (something conductive), they will send a pulse to bring the system up to full power. Your key fob as a small radio pulse generator inside, and there are antennas placed in the panels of your car. In my BMW, the antenna is in the rear bumper, but I don't know where it or they might be in the Focus. The antenna receives the radio pulse and sends the signal to unlock the door.

The radio pulse generator is extremely low powered and is designed so the signal has a maximum range, in some cases it may be as little as 10cm but I don't what is for the Focus.

I'd like to see a small bump in range for manually locking and unlocking the car with the fob as well, but I wouldn't want to mess up anything with the IA by doing so.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Increase range with anywhere near your head works for me.
My Contour SVT had a VERY short range, and the head trick was good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts