Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FocusFreak
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to slowly build a nice system for my 2005 zx3. I want to know where I should start and continue from there. I am aiming for good SQ. What would be the best mod first? New Deck? Dynamat? Speakers?

Thanks

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
New deck would be the best starting point...let me know your budget and I can offer up some suggestions.

Mike

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ya, Id say deck -> amp and components at the same time -> sub (maybe second amp).

The best time to do sound deadening would be at the beginning of the project probably, but lets face it, were all compulsive guy guys right? So ya my system is pretty much done and now Im looking into sound deadening. [idea]

·
FocusFreak
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm looking to spend no more than a grand... is this reasonable?

·
Registered
329 Posts
O yeah i got my entire system for a grand. Excluding the screen. Ive got 4 door speakers a 320x4 amp and 2 12's and a 1000x1 amp for all about 850 and its all total mobile audio. I would recomend (SP?) them to anyone.

·
Registered
316 Posts
nigletsyz said:
i'm looking to spend no more than a grand... is this reasonable?
If you plan on really deadening your car a grand wont cut it...but if you skip the deadening 1K should get you a decent SQ orientated system...might not win comps but should sound good :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
The order I did mine was nice headunit, nice speakers, awesome amp to power speakers and 2 JL at the same time as the amp.

·
FocusFreak
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not really interested in entering competitions, just a nice system that doesn't sound like crap with bass rattling every panel within a 5 car radius. I really have no idea what headunit to get or what speakers are good nowadays. Its been about 5 yrs since I had a system in a car an I'm sure many things have changed since then. I saw a JVC headunit on Crutchfield ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lm3pLUcbwCX/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=257kdshx90&wm=cl ) which looks to be a pretty good deal. Not sure of the quality though. I will prolly go with (1) 12" sub in the hatch, nothing more. I would like to get some components but I haven't really found anything that tell you where to mount them in the zx3 for optimal imaging. So thats why i'm turning to you guys.

·
FocusFreak
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, so maybe i'm replying to my own post but i read some of the FAQ how-to's and think that I'm going to go with 6.5 woofers in the door and tweets deep in the a-pillars. should i angle them towards the center of the windshield? I was the stage to be up high and in front of me, not low... definitely don't want it down low.

Also, can I angle the woofers in the door at all? Does this even help with imaging? Will a 6.5 in the front doors be sufficient for midbass and midrange? or should i just have it run midrange and get an 8" woofer for the midbass in addition to a subwoofer? I don't want the speakers to be running a huge range of frequencies. However, if I am running tweets, 6.5 woofer, 8" woofer and a 12" sub, will it be harder to get the imaging correct?

Sorry for all the questions, I am hoping someone with more experience can show me the light. I'm pretty excited about this project; I want to get it right the first time around.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
faulkton said:
If you plan on really deadening your car a grand wont cut it...but if you skip the deadening 1K should get you a decent SQ orientated system...might not win comps but should sound good :)
$1000 is the perfect amount for a decent SQ system for the focus.

sound deadening is also inexpensive, when you substitute eDead for Dynamat... It's the same stuff really... and $200 worth of some deadening certainly won't break any balls... that leaves $800, Just enough for new HU and speakers + amp, or 2 amps, subwoofer, and component speakers off the stock deck.

either way, you can't go wrong.

personally, I have the Stock HU, PG components ($120), 2 amps ($240), eDead ($140)... I am well happy with my system, and I didn't exceed $1000.

ok, so maybe i'm replying to my own post but i read some of the FAQ how-to's and think that I'm going to go with 6.5 woofers in the door and tweets deep in the a-pillars. should i angle them towards the center of the windshield? I was the stage to be up high and in front of me, not low... definitely don't want it down low.

Also, can I angle the woofers in the door at all? Does this even help with imaging? Will a 6.5 in the front doors be sufficient for midbass and midrange? or should i just have it run midrange and get an 8" woofer for the midbass in addition to a subwoofer? I don't want the speakers to be running a huge range of frequencies. However, if I am running tweets, 6.5 woofer, 8" woofer and a 12" sub, will it be harder to get the imaging correct?

Sorry for all the questions, I am hoping someone with more experience can show me the light. I'm pretty excited about this project; I want to get it right the first time around.
the Component system will be great for sound imaging... No need to try to angle or direct the 6.5" speakers... the tweeters sound great when facing the middle of the windshield, and somewhat high up....

I don't think the 8" woofer is really neccessary, if you run the components off a decent 300-600 watt amp or something... and have a subwoofer installed.

Also, sound deadener (eDead version 4) for the door panels.... I can't explain how much the eDead V4, rocks! I wish i bought more of it, when I did.

www.edesignaudio.com

·
Registered
316 Posts
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

also has great products..

when i say really deadening the car i mean like layer of sludge, layer of damplifier and a layer of overkill.. trying to really kill the excessive road noise in the car..

Thats my plan.. and the deadening products alone will be $700 or so.. I have my damplifier already.. now im saving up for the rest ;)

Just doing the doors with some sort of matt would be a lot cheaper.. but im hoping to get better results doing the whole car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
nigletsyz said:
I'm not really interested in entering competitions, just a nice system that doesn't sound like crap with bass rattling every panel within a 5 car radius. I really have no idea what headunit to get or what speakers are good nowadays. Its been about 5 yrs since I had a system in a car an I'm sure many things have changed since then. I saw a JVC headunit on Crutchfield ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lm3pLUcbwCX/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=257kdshx90&wm=cl ) which looks to be a pretty good deal. Not sure of the quality though. I will prolly go with (1) 12" sub in the hatch, nothing more. I would like to get some components but I haven't really found anything that tell you where to mount them in the zx3 for optimal imaging. So thats why i'm turning to you guys.
that headunit is very nice. My friend had it installed in his Cadillac with my amp and subs that I bought from him and it had lots of nice features, and thats a really good deal at cruthfield cause he paid like $800 new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts