Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Focus ZTW, 2.0 Zetec, automatic. I lost the only key I had. Hope I'm in the right place to ask for help. I was told I have to go to a dealer to have a new one made. Way expensive and no dealer in my town. Open for any suggestions. I have a door key with no chip. I might remember someone saying, if you hold something(a magnet?) near the key slot on sterring colum, it starts? I've done all the work to keep this old gal on the road, so you know I must be able to do most things. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
From everything I know/learned there is really no way around (back door/side door) the PATS system. The chip in the key must be programmed to the PCM. If you loose the keys then new keys must be obtained and must be programmed to the PCM by a locksmith, dealership, or somebody with Forscan software (and who knows how to use it). The only other thing is you can purchase a new PCM that comes with a set of pre-programmed keys (which may/may not cost less than other options). All of these options will cost $$.

BTW what you 'hold near the steering column' would be a programmed key in the case where you had to replace the lock cylinder requiring new keys but still had good programmed keys and did not want to pay for reprogramming.

Paul

Reactions: Cobrajet67

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,593 Posts
A quality mobile locksmith will.have the correct key and the ability to program it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts