Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Focus would not start this morning. Had to jump it with the wife's Murano. Gave me OBD II codes p2610 and p068a. The clock also never changed from 6:58 am....[mecry]

Any one had this happen?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well the Focus would not start this morning. Had to jump it with the wife's Murano. Gave me OBD II codes p2610 and p068a. The clock also never changed from 6:58 am....[mecry]
Oh wow...sounds like the computer decided to take an early retirement...

I've never come across that myself...

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Any one had this happen?
P068A - Indicates the non volatile random access memory (NVRAM) write did not complete successfully after the ignition key was turned off, prior to PCM shutdown. This DTC sets when the PCM power relay is de-energized too early.

P2610 - Indicates an error in the internal PCM engine off timer processor. The test fails when the difference between the engine off time and the central processing unit (CPU) time exceeds a calibrated limit for a calibrated amount of time.

For these DTCs, the technical details probably aren't important because there is a TSB that covers these issues:

TSB 11-10-2
Publication Date: October 2, 2011

Some 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 8/12/2011 may exhibit the following engine drivability and/or automatic transmission concerns; RPM flare on deceleration coming to a stop, rough idle on deceleration coming to a stop, intermittent engine idle fluctuations at a stop, intermittent vehicle speed control inoperative, intermittent harsh engagement/shift, engine no-start with engine coolant temperature (ECT) open circuit faults and intermittent no-crank/no-start condition after performing normal Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test (PPT) diagnostic procedures. The vehicle may also exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F or P2877. The vehicle may also exhibit intermittent false initialization to 21 °C (70 °F) on the instrument cluster's ambient temperature display upon engine start up.

The fix is a simple reprogramming of the PCM and TCM.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
...intermittent harsh engagement/shift...
Hmm... sounds similar to my issue - not having quite as many of these problems (yet)

·
Registered
524 Posts
So, this is a new TSB that just came out. That's a lot of issues all packed into one TSB.

·
Registered
418 Posts

Any one had this happen?
You had to jump start it,
Was the battery flat ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You had to jump start it,
Was the battery flat ?
Appeared so. All the electronics worked inside the car. Heard a click when I tried to start it. Kept clicking rapidly until I hooked up the jumper cables the the Murano then stopped . Had to let it charge for a few minutes until it did start.

Not a fun morning...

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Question: How up-to-date do dealers stay with TSBs? Do they just search for them when someone has a problem, or do they read them as they come out? I went to the dealer saying that I had a harsh shifting issue, but I wonder if this would fix it or not. Would my dealer see this and seek me out? Or wait until I come in again…?

·
Registered
130 Posts
P068A - Indicates the non volatile random access memory (NVRAM) write did not complete successfully after the ignition key was turned off, prior to PCM shutdown. This DTC sets when the PCM power relay is de-energized too early.

P2610 - Indicates an error in the internal PCM engine off timer processor. The test fails when the difference between the engine off time and the central processing unit (CPU) time exceeds a calibrated limit for a calibrated amount of time.

For these DTCs, the technical details probably aren't important because there is a TSB that covers these issues:

TSB 11-10-2
Publication Date: October 2, 2011

Some 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 8/12/2011 may exhibit the following engine drivability and/or automatic transmission concerns; RPM flare on deceleration coming to a stop, rough idle on deceleration coming to a stop, intermittent engine idle fluctuations at a stop, intermittent vehicle speed control inoperative, intermittent harsh engagement/shift, engine no-start with engine coolant temperature (ECT) open circuit faults and intermittent no-crank/no-start condition after performing normal Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test (PPT) diagnostic procedures. The vehicle may also exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F or P2877. The vehicle may also exhibit intermittent false initialization to 21 °C (70 °F) on the instrument cluster's ambient temperature display upon engine start up.

The fix is a simple reprogramming of the PCM and TCM.
Woo-hoo! I have the 70F - and its consequently killing the operation of my HVAC. Thanks for posting this! I'll bring it with me when the car goes in next week.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Appeared so. All the electronics worked inside the car. Heard a click when I tried to start it. Kept clicking rapidly until I hooked up the jumper cables the the Murano then stopped . Had to let it charge for a few minutes until it did start.

Not a fun morning...
Maybe the cause of the problem was a flat battery.
The fact that you could start it with a jump sort of proves this.
Modern Fuel computers require that your battery voltage does not drop below about 10.5 Volts while cranking (starting).
Low battery can cause CPU's to display undocumented behaviour.
Keep an eye on your battery voltage.
U can check it in test mode.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe the cause of the problem was a flat battery.
The fact that you could start it with a jump sort of proves this.
Modern Fuel computers require that your battery voltage does not drop below about 10.5 Volts while cranking (starting).
Low battery can cause CPU's to display undocumented behaviour.
Keep an eye on your battery voltage.
U can check it in test mode.
I agree that the trouble codes could be from a dead battery or related to the dead battery, but why did my battery die and why is the clock stuck at 6:58 am? I tried to reset it several time with no luck.

The car is 6 months old with 7800 miles. Their was nothing left on inside the car, i.e. Headlights, dome lights truck light. Car was driven the day prior. Very confusing to me. Hope it is just a TSB issue.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Were you using an Ultra Gauge? Apparently incorrect settings in those could also cause the car to drain the battery.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I agree that the trouble codes could be from a dead battery or related to the dead battery, but why did my battery die and why is the clock stuck at 6:58 am? I tried to reset it several time with no luck.

The car is 6 months old with 7800 miles. Their was nothing left on inside the car, i.e. Headlights, dome lights truck light. Car was driven the day prior. Very confusing to me. Hope it is just a TSB issue.
Yes, I had this same problem, unfortunatley for me though it was not a known concern. Just went out to start the car one morning and it clicked and rattled and that was it, jump start got it going. Then it sat at the dealer for 4 days waiting for FORD engineering to figure out the fix. I was the test dummy, and you guys are welcome! Turns out a PCM and TCM reprogram did the job.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Come to think of it, my clock was set completely wrong one morning last week. My car started, though. I blew it off as a MFT glitch and thought nothing of it. Weird...

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Woo-hoo! I have the 70F - and its consequently killing the operation of my HVAC. Thanks for posting this! I'll bring it with me when the car goes in next week.
I wish I could check to see if I have this issue, but... it's 70 degrees outside right now.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
[/QUOTE]Some 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 8/12/2011 may exhibit the following[/QUOTE]

My car was built on 9.26.11 so finger's crossed knock on wood that nothing of these "issue's" effects my car [bigcry] it's my first brand new car!! Suppose to come monday 10.10 rock on [headbang]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dealer still can't figure out what's wrong. They got the clock to change to 6:59 though.......Won't change from there but, small victories.

Trying to keep a positive attitude.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts