Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?889d6a39cc.gif
The finalized design... maybe... yeah... just read below:

Alrighty. I'm sure by now, no one really cares about what happened with the SVT Squad, and if you have no idea what I'm taking about, don't worry, you really haven't missed much.

Personally, I jumped at the opportunity to create a custom design that can be seen and used by many people. However, Technyne as been MIA for months on end. I have been trying to get a Shopping Cart up on my website to enable members to purchase the decal, but given that I'm a designer, I'm having trouble with MySel and other programmer language junk. (my thanks to foci_fosho for all the help though!)

Now... I have cut a test sheet of the SVT Squad logo and have discovered that although the SVT Squad logo is wicked sick, it is also extremely detailed and many of the thinner areas were lost during weeding and masking. Now that can be only three things: 1)The blade on the cutting needs to be changed to a sharper one, 2)The vinyl is more than 5 years old, 3)the design is way to detailed for any application smaller than 10 inches. It would be absurd to send out decals of this logo when I spent an hour to weed, mask and apply the sticker. If it is either 1 or 2, I can fix it. But if it is 3, I'm thinking about designing a very simple and typographic logo that hits all the hearts of SVT Squad members.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
I'm still very down for the cause and appreciate your enthusiasm in taking on the project, really I do! [thumb]

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm not a computer wiz, but I can understand the image not printing well if it were to detailed for a smaller graphic. I work way to much to have any time to help. If this helps, I'm in and would love to get this squad thing to take. I would love a logo and would buy them for my car.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
Endless Mike said:
Why is there artifacting on a GIF?
because GIF is a lossy format, that means to make it a smaller file size it removes image data, instead of a lossless format like PDF, PNG or PSD (if made in illustrator AI)

·
Registered
185 Posts
jaimz22 said:
because GIF is a lossy format, that means to make it a smaller file size it removes image data, instead of a lossless format like PDF, PNG or PSD (if made in illustrator AI)
No, GIF is lossless, just like PNG. PDF is a vector-based document file, PSD is a Photoshop file, and AI is an Illustrator file, none are image files and not really comparable. I have never, ever seen a single-color (or even multi-color, really) GIF with artifacting. Hell, PNG was devised as a free (maybe OSS, not sure on that) alternative to GIF since Unisys owns the rights to it and, as such, can earn royalties from anyone that uses it. GIF and PNG's big advantages are that small features can be replicated from a bitmap with no loss of detail or artifacting. This looks to me like someone rendered what was originally a vector image as a JPG and resaved it as a GIF for some reason.

Also, this really *should* be redone in a vector format so it can be resized as needed.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
well yeah gif is lossless, i'll give you that, but when compressing people often loose detail when rendering to gif to save file size (an artifacted image gets saved as a gif) :p
however, it can't represent all color data so it quantinizes the image, which can appear as artifacts. i know PNG was made as an open source alternative to gif and it has better compression / quality ratio. (it can also carry 254 levels of alphatransparency)

coming from a world of print and design i can tell you that the industry does infact recognize PDF, PSD, and AI as image files, for the reason that they contain image data (reguardless of what other meta data is stored in the file)

high resolution PDF's are quickly becoming the format of choice for most printers and designers due to the fact that it can be placed as an image, it can be represented as an image, it's lossless and it carries rasterized preview image and a vector document image.

·
Registered
62 Posts
All this talk of file formats doesn't really help Daniel with his problem; the complex design isn't working well with the cutting equipment.

I know even less than svt medic about the vinyl process, but I thought this engine design was probably too hard for this project. That's why I voted for a much simpler design (rhymes with I mold you so).

Daniel, you've done a GREAT job with this project. I'll buy one when it's done just to pat you on the back!

*cough*bite*cough*

·
Registered
169 Posts
For the Records:

I have not been MIA, I have been fighting a legal battle.

At this time I am not at liberty to say anything more, but I would strongly suggest that you let this project pass.

Daniel,

I recommend that you do not print any more of those stickers, or you could be facing the same situation I am.

Regards,
Technyne

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
Did someone license the svt squad name and logo?

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the heads up Technyne.

For the record... I haven't cut any for anyone other than testing to see if it's worthy. I will discontinue any and all post-pre-and current production of this project.

And for the record for all you format savvy geeks: orginal is .ai(vector), saved as lowest possible .jpg (lossy) for internet to get the crappy artifacts so it would be that much harder to steal then as a .gif(lossless) because I like .gifs. :D

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Should we delete the previous threads that had the Squad Logos shown?

technyne;
If you could PM me, I'd greatly appreciate it.
We certainly don't want FF to get in any legal trouble...[:(]
Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts