Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right spot, so if not, MODs can feel free to move it where ever it may belong.

I was playing around under the dash of my 09. Did something to it that I later learned blew fuse #27 - the ignition fuse. Nearly nothing worked on the car and at that point, I had to get it towed to a Ford Dealer. I checked most fuses, but obviously the one I didn't check turned out to be the problem. Before I had it brought in, I noticed that my fogs and halos worked, which I had wired to the battery myself. When I got the car back and went for my usual night drive with my dog, I noticed my fogs and halos no longer worked. Thinking what the hell, I lift open the hood and see the wire is sliced in half about 4 inches from the battery. It wasn't as if this wire was spliced into a longer wire at this location and possibly was tugged loose. It has been straight up, sliced in two. Not only was it sliced in two, the hot side was left wide open, not taped up. So the few times I hit the switch and nothing worked, it probably sent current through the wire, luckily not causing a fire under the hood. The wire was also tucked, as if to "hide" it.

Is there any reason for this whatsoever? Maybe it's just me, but I feel the negligence here is beyond obvious. Never was it mentioned to me "hey, we had to cut up some wires you put in." Maybe someone here with much more knowledge than me would know why the dealers mechanics would randomly (to me, at least) slice a wire in half and leave it open, and not tell me.

I don't have pictures because I'm beyond pissed at the moment, but I will take pictures tomorrow for those who have a little bit of trouble following.

Any insight, help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
They probably made a judgement on car owner as they found the work and then sliced the wire to check without that going to see how much problem it created. Then in a hurry like always they didn't do the followup tape job. Typical Ford dealer work. To expect more is to be sadly disappointed.

And if it could have caused a fire then they were right, where's the fuse protecting circuit so it just blows???? If no fuse there you don't have a viable rant there. Problem would then be one of your own making.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All they had to do was switch on the fogs to see that it worked, (and I told them the fogs worked just fine) or if they thought that was the problem, remove it from the battery rather than cutting it. Sloppy work, if they resort to slicing a wire rather than removing it from the positive side of the battery. The wire had an inline fuse on it. And I still do feel like it's a viable rant. My car showed up to the shop with all those wires intact and working, and it left with a sliced wire, that I was not told of. I guess it's just my opinion though.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Don't beat yourself up too much.

Many times using an "add a fuse"is the best thing to do.

Rewire it all using one.

Post results.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not beating myself up over it. I didn't do anything wrong. I brought it in with all my wires intact, and I left the dealer with one wire sliced completely in half. For no apparent reason. If you slice that wire to test it, you put it back together. I guess that's far too much to ask of mechanics that charge $120.hr for labor.

It'd be nice to get a ford rep in here to tell me if this is something that is usual or not. You know, slicing random wires and not putting them back together. If it's usual, it's dumb and completely lazy. Either way, I have a reason to be upset and I know anybody who brought their car in and gets it back with a wire sliced open should be mad.

This is what was left for me:

The wire to the battery, completely exposed.

The other half of the wire, which was taped and hidden in the wireloom.

Took me five minutes to find and fix, but I'm still pretty confused as to how you cut open a wire, tape up one half, but leave the other half exposed. Oh well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
IMO, They should have told you. Do your fogs come on indepently of your headlights? They are only supposed to come on with your low beams. They should not be able to come on with your high beams. I suspect either this, or they suspected your wiring job was to blame for the blown ignition fuse. I agree that they should not have left a hot exposed wire hanging off of your battery. You could complain to the service manager but I don't think it will accomplish anything. The best thing you can do if dissastisfied is to speak with your wallet and take your buisness elsewhere.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMO, They should have told you. Do your fogs come on indepently of your headlights? They are only supposed to come on with your low beams. They should not be able to come on with your high beams. I suspect either this, or they suspected your wiring job was to blame for the blown ignition fuse. I agree that they should not have left a hot exposed wire hanging off of your battery. You could complain to the service manager but I don't think it will accomplish anything. The best thing you can do if dissastisfied is to speak with your wallet and take your buisness elsewhere.
That's the plan. If they told me, total different feel. I wired the fogs to a seperate switch, which also controls my halos. I can turn it on and off whenever I like to, so yes, it can be on when my high beams are on. However, I don't remember the last time that I put my highs on. They said the aftermarket wiring was to blame, but I know it wasn't because I was playing around under the dash and caught the wrong wire, which I told them. At this point, I agree and don't believe complaining will do anything.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
'They said the aftermarket wiring was to blame'

They will always go there, they are taught to look for owner done oddball work that is 'not approved by them' and blame that virtually every time. Having done some rewire and related fix in the past I can kind of see their point but to leave that wire undone, well, the mark of the quality of their work.

No one on this planet is any better at doing this or that than you are, and if you are concerned because it is your personal stuff you will almost always do better than what you pay for (even if paying for 'best of the best') if you have any brain capacity at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts