Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 titanium
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little back story, I picked up a 2012 focus titanium DCT with 108,000 miles a year ago cheap as it has fuel issues. I resolved those issues and was using the car as a daily for work and everything else.

Fast forward now at 142,690 miles and replaced the engine as the head gasket went out, picked up a motor and transmission with under 50,000 and installed it. After a couple hiccups I had it running. The motor idled great and transmission shifted into gear just fine. Had backed it out of my garage and let it run a good 20 minutes giving it enough time to get everything warmed up. I took it for a test drive and it seemed to do fine at first then it had a backfire and died.

I'm stuck as to what happened. Through forscan I have spark, throttle body is responding what's odd is I have a code p00c6 low fuel rail pressure. Forscan is showing my low pressure to be roughly 56psi with ignition on and 74psl while cranking my rail pressure is only reaching 30psi. When I installed the engine I left the hpfp that came with it on a long with the fuel rail, injectors, and pressure sensor. After that happened I swapped out the hpfp, rail, injectors and sensor with the parts from my old motor as they around 34,000 miles on them. Doing that increased my fuel rail pressure to 62 psi which is still lower than the 1400 psi the computer is commanding.

I have no clue why it would have died or what is going on I'm open to ideas as to what to look at or check. I really need to get this car back on the road as soon as possible.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Can you smell fuel in the oil? If pressure is being made at all, it could be leaking past the cam lobe into the valve cover area or possibly an injector could be stuck open.

I believe these have a pressure regulator solenoid on them. I would also check that it is connected well and electrically sound.

·
Registered
2012 titanium
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I found was on forscan I'm reading 0.0v on the injector power monitor. I unhooked the connector body to the injector harness and checked all pins with a test light but I'm not sure what pin feeds what part as I don't have a wiring diagram for the engine. I checked all the fuses and relays I could think of and did a search of the injector power monitor and came up empty. I have a feeling it's electrical but where to start.

·
Registered
2012 titanium
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing I found was on forscan I'm reading 0.0v on the injector power monitor. I unhooked the connector body to the injector harness and checked all pins with a test light but I'm not sure what pin feeds what part as I don't have a wiring diagram for the engine. I checked all the fuses and relays I could think of and did a search of the injector power monitor and came up empty. I have a feeling it's electrical but where to start.

·
Registered
2012 titanium
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What has me confused is that it was running and was driving and just stopped and won't restart it'll crank and every so often it'll burp but won't fire

·
Registered
2012 titanium
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update.... I seem to have found my problem, the intake cam gear bolt broke to the cam itself causing the pulley to be able to rotate without moving the cam. I do have another intake cam and gear I can use the problem I have now is figuring out how to set the intake cam. I have the motor at tdc but with the intake cam itself not rotating I have no way to verify the position of it to remove and reinstall. I pretty much have a 50/50 shot at it since the alignment tool would slide to to the grove in two positions. Service manual says to take note of the cam lobe position but I don't have that option. Was hoping someone has an idea or a motor with the valve cover off that could take some pictures of the intake cam orientation at tdc.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you are at #1 TDC, both #1 cam lobes should be in the ballpark of 110° opposing each other. Have you done anything to verify that no valves were smacked? These are interference engines, if the intake cam stopped while the motor had momentum it's pretty likely unfortunately.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you are at #1 TDC, both #1 cam lobes should be in the ballpark of 110° opposing each other
AIR, Zetec #1 cam lobes point away from each other at TDC. Does "opposing" mean toward each other?

Which ever way it's supposed to be, the exhaust cam should tell you. Having both point in the same direction would be wrong for Zetec. IDK about your motor.

·
Registered
203 Posts
AIR, Zetec #1 cam lobes point away from each other at TDC. Does "opposing" mean toward each other?

Which ever way it's supposed to be, the exhaust cam should tell you. Having both point in the same direction would be wrong for Zetec. IDK about your motor.
"Opposing" meaning opposite. I attached a cam angle chart, might make more sense. This is in the duratec category so presumably that's what op has. I also attached what a set of duratec cams look like at #1 TDC. Note that the intake cam is on the right which is why both point upward and towards each other. In the older Zetec the cams are switched which is why they face away, because the exhaust cam is on the "front" side of the car.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts