Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my shift tower/cables off/moved while cleaning and noticed that one of the cables doesn't seat correctly in the tower where it twist locks.

This is the cable on the side. The cable on the top seats just fine. When I mean seat, I am talking about the two orange arms that move up and down to fit into the grove on the tower. No amount of twisting, rotating, pushing, would get this one into place.
Right now I have it semi seated with one of the orange arms in their spot. I see on the twist lock there are notches that seem to be the cause. I thought about just removing those with a file but thought I would ask first.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thnks

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bumpp

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It LOOKS like those orange tabs have to pull out to slide it into position, then slide back in to lock. Best I can tell from the pic, didn't want to post what seemed obvious if anyone knew better from experience offhand.

Looks like a 180* twist from the picture to slide them in as well.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fully understand how the twist lock works. There are two cables, the other one is in place fully and secured. This one will not seat into its place.

Look at the 3rd picture. I am point at the notch I am speaking of. It comes before the orange tab. Orange tabs when in correct place should fall into the shift tower slot being pointed at in picture 2.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Looking closer, I think I had that backwards (no 180* twist).

The side toward us in the picture would be out, I can see the wear marks from the flat side of that connector opposite the slot opening.

I'm assuming the cable was in there before, and just trying to answer because it got moved & bumped for a couple days without response. (any ideas when you're stuck theory - even if useless by themselves they might give YOU an idea)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't get me wrong sailor, I am glad to get help. You'll have to understand that a certain communication is lost over bulletin boards and text messages- also that I come off as cocky, rude, and in general an ass and that its not on purpose.

As for your suggestion here, I didn't post a pic of the other side but its flat, not curved like the side we can see in the pictures and wouldn't fit into place.

In pic 2 you can see the rim that looks like it would go around the entire locking mechanism, it do but in pic 2 you can see the 90 degree angle it takes.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's cool, Tx for the clarification.

In that second picture is what I noticed at the second look.

At the top back of the circular notch for the cable, I'm seeing what looks like wear marks from the 90 degree corner you just mentioned - and I assume there is another 90 degree corner that i can't see that would go to the bottom left of the curved notch, right where the screwdriver is pointing.

Check the pic & see if it looks that way to you now that I noticed it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Omg. You've opened my eyes sailor. Will test this way in the later AM. Till then.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Um.... dont file things off. I think you've gone and screwed up the adjusting mechanism, and you're going to need new cables. I think I discussed how to adjust the cables in a thread about repairing the shift tower pin. If you're having trouble getting into gear, it's probably the shift tower pin. That problem lasts for a long time before it finally goes out.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Yes, after re-reading that, the twistlock portion of the cable doesn't have anything to do with adjustment. It's the waffle shaped pin on the head that allows you to adjust the cable. I don't think you messed anything up. I didn't write about the other part of the cable because there's no reason to. I'm not sure what that part's purpose is, but it doesn't have anything to do with cable adjustment. It might have nothing more to do than to hold the cable still on a bracket if I remember correctly. In that case, part of it is supposed to move.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@whynotthinkwhynot - Ive not had to perform any adjustments as of yet- hope I never do as I don't have that little red tool.

As for the twist lock, I finally got it seated. @Sailor - I was putting it in backwards. Weird.. Thanks for the help! Sometimes I need to be reminded that just cause common sense says it would be one way, doesn't mean that it is.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Glad it worked out,

Pics. really helped this time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts