Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a Ford Focus, I'm from Sweden (excuse me for my bad english) so it is a ST170 insted of a SVT. The problem is that i get the code P1518 all the time, says the IMRC is stuck open. I have been locking att the clip to see if it's move correctly, but it dosen't, it moves at around 6200rpm witch is far to high but at least it moves... That what makes me wondering, is there someting wrong with the IMRC or something else

I'm woundering if a new IMRC box can fix the problem, or is there something wrong with the elektronic controling the IMRC, what do you think?

I have taking the IMRC box apart but cant find anything wrong in it, so im thinking of buying a new one.

So I need help from you on the other side if the pound =)

Best regrets

Henrik

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
your English is not that bad.

I had the same code in my SVT. I replaced the IMRC box, the code has not returned. There is also a How-to clean the contact points in the IMRC box. cleaning the contacts could be a free solution to the issue.

Here is a link to the removal and repair procedure. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222180

good luck.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
I thought it opened at 6k on a stock tune. But I could be wrong

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi! Thanks guys!
While I was asleep (because of the time difference) I got 3 replays! =)

I can see at witch rpm the IMRC is moving by checking when the clip (DSI?) is moving while standing beside the car while my girlfriends is pushing the trottle without any gear in. I can also hear the IMRC moving while driving (not so often I hit 6200rpm =). )

I think 6200rpm is a bit to high because the red rpm is coming at 7000rpm

I have alredy taking the IMRC apart and cleaning it, also bended the metallclip a bit. But I could not get datachip lose because there was (I think) 2 "no screws" holding it in place... Might try again, but it was not fun to take take it apart =) Many thanks for the link alex!
A fun thing is that on European Focus the IMRC box is sitting behind the engin on the torpedwall, now you know that... =)

The problem is that I don't know if replacing the IMRC will help, because it working but at the wrong rpm, no one having the same problem?

Thanks for all the answers, I really appreciate it!!

//Henrik

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Depending on which version of the factory tune is in the car 6200rpm IS the original switchpoint for the IRMC.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
To the OP save up for a tune. My n/a tune mine activated at 5k and moved the rev limiter to 7600. The 2 head honchos that answered ur questions should know how or who to tune ur car. It turns the st170/Svt into a different car its well worth it

·
FF Affiliate
31,088 Posts
In all the tunes (ECU codes) I looked at all the STOCK settings were set to 5000 switch point both Diablosport and SCT

Checking the switch points why not under a load could give you a false switch point and wouldnt be a good test , need to datalog whats happening , Only a tune would change the switch point that high and in my opinion anything over 5500 is way to high

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am almost certain that IMRC'n changing at 6200rpm because I also can hear the change when I am out and test drive, at 6200rpm, I hear a Brrrr from the engine.

I do not think the car is tuned because I am the second owner, and nothing is modified on the car.

I got the error code the other day, I drove on 5th gear at a constant 2000rpm and then the car started to "pull" (just noticeable) and then the engin lamp lighted up =(

I also get error codes:
P0420 - Catalyst
p0133 - o2 sensor
0113 - intake temp sensor

I know there are many questions but I hear that there is much knowledge here, I have received more help in this thread than I found myself in several weeks .. Thank you very much for your help, I really like this car and have big plans for it =)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts