Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I'm relatively new to the car modding scene and and imteresting in improving the handling of the focus as stated above. Wondering what would be the best bang for my buck? Excluding lowering, as this is my daily driver and the curbs here are rather rough I'm currently looking at parts on zx3 tuning as it is the most convient for me. In any case i drive a 2000 Sedan. I've heard tires but i want to save until i can afford new rims to avoid buying twice as i am still on a part-time highschool budget.

Thx in advance

·
Registered
714 Posts
other than lowering you can do stress bars, shocks & struts, and sway bars.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Two schools of thought:
  1. Soft springs and Stiff bars
  2. Stiff springs and Soft bars
    [/list=1]

I'm always in the stiff spring and soft bar camp. Your springs will do the majority of the work, and you fine tune the system with sway bars. You get an easier transistion on loss of traction, so the car doesn't break away suddenly. The downsides are a harsher ride.

The benefit of soft springs and stiff bars is you get a compliant ride on the highway, and the system works while cornering. The downsides are you have a much faster breakaway transition from traction to slipping, and the rear control arms will fatigue and break with too much rear bar and soft springs.

Both setups would require adequete dampers. Springs alone are only half the battle. And of course, none of they will work as well as they can if you have crappy tires on.

If you are dead set on getting new wheels, I would personally wait until they are on with good rubber, then you can decide on a suspension that would work with them. I don't know what you are planning, but its possible you could go too low, and then have a rubbing issue with your new wheels.

If you are still looking for a suspension, I would look at something with about 1.5" drop, and pair them with either Eibach Pro-dampers or KYB AGX dampers, and either a Progress 22mm rear sway bar, or both H&R bars (24mm front, 24mm rear)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx alot that really helped, does the H&R rear sway come with all mounting hardware, brackets etc?

·
Registered
341 Posts
If your ride has no rear sway you will have no mounting points in which to mount one from a kit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
which option would you see the most dramatic change in handling, i'm actualling thinking of going svt suspension only .75 drop right? Noticible difference or not?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Bartic said:
which option would you see the most dramatic change in handling, i'm actualling thinking of going svt suspension only .75 drop right? Noticible difference or not?
SVT kit is an excellent upgrade if your budget it low.
Yes, noticable difference.

HempHound said:
If your ride has no rear sway you will have no mounting points in which to mount one from a kit
Some models come with sway bar mounts, but no sway bar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
would my local ford (racing) dealer carry it or is it better to buy online (paypal preferably, new edgeperformance)
srry i'm new to this

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
I got mine for $265 shipped, but i live close.

Clicky Clicky for SVT Suspension for about the cheapest price around. But Being in Canada, might be a smidge bit more expensive to ship

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
The next step up would be the Multimatic coilovers that you could also get from Ford Racing.

Of course, the biggest improvement would be driver training. Trust me, you almost certainly aren't getting close to 100% out of the stock suspension unless you really know what you are doing. Hit some AutoXs and driver's schools and you'll be shocked how much better your car can handle once you tighten that "Nut behind the Wheel".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts