Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggest improvements for next year’s model, as it is likely that Ford engineers are lurking here. Minor changes only, they aren’t going to change the body or re-engine by next summer. And ‘fix MFT’ is not a constructive suggestion.

Here are some:

Automatic lens cover for the backup camera. The camera is great but it gets dirty or blurry every time it rains or in dusty driving, especially in the hatch. Just a small cap that flips down by a solenoid connected to the backup lights.

Option to remove the green/amber/red backup view guidelines, which I find obstructive and not useful, but still keep the white path lines, which I find useful.

Make the radio volume increments smaller. They are far too large.

Make a funnel shape opening to guide the key into the hole. It is difficult to get the key in without bending over to look at the hole.

A bump shift lever instead of the buttons. Even if you can’t install paddles the bump would be an improvement.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about a customized on-line owners manual. Like most car manuals the printed manual is a confusing hodgepodge with all the different variants and options. Half of it doesn’t apply to any given version of the car and I find myself reading entire sections before I figure out it doesn’t apply to my model. Someone who doesn’t know the specific feature set of the car would get royally confused.

Go to a web site and key in your VIN and it will produce a downloadable manual customized to your specific features, without all the other junk. Suitable for in-home reading, tablets, smart phones etc.

·
Registered
472 Posts
now THIS would be awesome!

I dont' even have my car yet and have downloaded a full set of manuals and you have an excellent point. there is a bunch of stuff in there that is hard to tell if they apply to your car or not. the nice thing about them tho is that they are .PDF files and are searchable which makes it a little easier but not much.

one wouldn't think it would be too hard to program either since you can already type in your vin and get a full set of manuals.

How about a customized on-line owners manual. Like most car manuals the printed manual is a confusing hodgepodge with all the different variants and options. Half of it doesn’t apply to any given version of the car and I find myself reading entire sections before I figure out it doesn’t apply to my model. Someone who doesn’t know the specific feature set of the car would get royally confused.

Go to a web site and key in your VIN and it will produce a downloadable manual customized to your specific features, without all the other junk. Suitable for in-home reading, tablets, smart phones etc.

·
Registered
524 Posts

That is a great suggestion. [thumb]

I personally don't find the volume control needs to be changed at all. In fact it's just about right IMO. They could however add a sensitivity adjustment in the sound menu that would allow for finer adjustments.

The cup holder section really needs some work. I'm not sure what they could do with it when the winter package is added but the holders are too close to the center arm rest.

I would have really liked to get the Sony sound system without having to get MFT. There is a lot of redundancy in using the touch screen.

The folded bottom edge of the doors need to be completely folded over and sealed. I have no idea why they didn't do that unless it was a build error during production.

That's all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
492 Posts

+1 [headbang]

·
Registered
882 Posts
You really think many Ford employees are lurking here? With all the complaints about the MyFord Touch system and completely lack of a resolution on the matter...pretty sure only the few that speak up actually come here.

Speaking as someone who works for one of the bigger software companies in the country...if we had problems like this in our software it would be fixed within the day or nobody would want to go home. Nobody I know at our company would leave knowing the software was in the state it is. Around big releases most people in our company push out 60-80 hour weeks (nothing that management wants, but it's about the work ethic of the individuals that work at my company) just to crush *MINOR* bugs that no customer will ever see. Problems like we see with the MyFord Touch system would *NEVER* make it out the door.

·
Registered
472 Posts
wow you are just a fountain of positive energy tonite aren't you?

You really think many Ford employees are lurking here? With all the complaints about the MyFord Touch system and completely lack of a resolution on the matter...pretty sure only the few that speak up actually come here.

Speaking as someone who works for one of the bigger software companies in the country...if we had problems like this in our software it would be fixed within the day or nobody would want to go home. Nobody I know at our company would leave knowing the software was in the state it is. Around big releases most people in our company push out 60-80 hour weeks (nothing that management wants, but it's about the work ethic of the individuals that work at my company) just to crush *MINOR* bugs that no customer will ever see. Problems like we see with the MyFord Touch system would *NEVER* make it out the door.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
if you turn off the speed sensitive volume the volume increments are much smaller and consistent.
you already can turn that off. my car (2010) has it and it was already turned off. my gpa's 05 Mustang GT had it and he later turned it off.

anyways, my suggestion... make a friggin 3 door coupe... and maybe for the hell of it bring back the model badging... ZX4, ZX3, ZX5 =D lol.

·
Registered
524 Posts
How about an easily reachable toggle switch to cut power to sync and MFT for the ultimate reset. [ninja]

·
Registered
472 Posts
How about an easily reachable toggle switch to cut power to sync and MFT for the ultimate reset. [ninja]
LOL great idea. I am betting that one would be pretty easy to hook up yourself in the meantime

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any rumors on when we might see a 2013 model? Might we see it early 2012 as we saw the 2012 in early 2011, or will the 2012 model be a long run?

I think I'm going to wait for 2013. 2012 seems too flawed.

·
Registered
254 Posts

+1 from a fellow Nerd

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'd like to see the rear seat cushions drop lower with a fold flat front passenger seat and a rubber or plastic cover on the left side foot rest, a light in the glove box and an interior rear hatch release. (I'm assuming the sedan has a trunk release).

·
Registered
532 Posts
Here are my suggested changes for 2013:

S - add power rear windows to power front windows

SE- either make pakage 201A standard and/or make rear disk brakes standard on all SE's

SEL and Titanium - make a manual transmission a credit option

For all trims (maybe except S), consider a six speed manual either standard, or a $200 option.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'd like to see the rear seat cushions drop lower with a fold flat front passenger seat and a rubber or plastic cover on the left side foot rest, a light in the glove box and an interior rear hatch release. (I'm assuming the sedan has a trunk release).
The sedan also does not have a trunk release button (believe it, or not). You have to press on the remote, or push a release button on the trunk lid where the license plate lights are. I definately agree with you on the glovebox lights. They need to be standard and included on all trim levels. A good suggested change for 2013!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Something minor here, but the cup holders in the SEL/Titanium could use something to hold smaller items in place. As it stands now, a can of soda or a regular coffee cup will easily spill stuff all over the place if you are not careful.

If possible, reduce the cargo area space and move those rear seats back to allow more passenger leg room in the back seat. Since you can fold the rear seats down, this wouldn't affect cargo capacity for MOST people if you need it.

Make a new engine mode that is somewhere between the normal "MPG focus" and the current sport mode which keeps the RPMs high as you downshift so that there is a sane middle ground. I hate sport mode for any slowdowns because it leaves the engine revving high when I slow down for a traffic light or stop sign. I find myself switching from sport mode down to regular drive when I get into more "city-like" driving conditions.

For MyFord Touch, that second LCD in the instrument cluster to allow for customized instrument gauge displays would be a nice improvement.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Deeper cup holders

Applink

Ability to keep radio on forever for drive-in movies

Little coin holder... about $2 worth is all you need

Ability to run A/V video while youre moving. I swear the driver won't look!

1 - 20 of 135 Posts