Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I've noticed about the 2012 Focus, although it has a nice linear power delivery, the car doesn't really get going unless you're at WOT.

Since the cylinder's CR is high in this engine (12:1), I don't think the FI route would be the most practical. Also, if I wanted a turbo I'd have held out for the ST.

So aside from FI, does anyone have any input on how to extract some more power out of this motor? The car seems pretty quick at WOT, but sometimes 60% throttle is not enough to pass traffic.

Obviously there's intake/exhaust/tune, which would probably net 10whp if you're lucky I'm guessing?

Any other ideas? Maybe some people here have had experience with prior versions of the duratec in cars like the Contour. Underdrive pulley maybe for some improved throttle response? I'm new to the whole Duratec modding scene so again, forgive my ignorance, but if anyone has any input it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
232 Posts
[driving]put your foot down farther!

I just started driving mine last week and have always found that it takes awhile to get a good feel for the throttle/brakes etc so you can get the car to do exactly what you want it to. Give yourself a bit of time to get in tune with the throttle response and you will find the car quicker when you need it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Personally mine is a 5 speed. And I'm sure the car is geared for Fuel Economy, so maybe that explains the lack of responsiveness at partial throttle..?
An ecu reprogram will help with the fuel economy behavior. We just have to wait for availability.

We'll also see some improvements with various boltons and even more with engine software to take advantage of those botlons.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The auto focus is going to be the major bummer. The transmission wont be strong enough to handle any major increases in power, unlike the manual.

·
Sonic Crew #04
7,513 Posts
The auto focus is going to be the major bummer. The transmission wont be strong enough to handle any major increases in power, unlike the manual.
Is there a reason for that? Not disagreeing, and have seen others mention it as well, but it seems like something that we wont know until somebody tries it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I test drove a manual SE yesterday. I was actually surprised with the power, right off the line. Chirped the tires accidentally while getting used to it.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Kind of curious why you say this? The auto IS a manual transmission. Just not the same German manual we have in ours with full manual transmission.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm actually quite pleased with the amount of power, my only problem is I still suck at shifting. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had my 5 sp manual SEL for 3 months and 6,000 KMs now and do find I need to keep the revs up to feel anything close to 'grunt' - especially with the AC on. Peak torque doesn't occur until around 4,200 or 4,500 RPM so I guess I'm not too surprised but I agree that if there was something that could be done to improve throttle response in the lower rev range without impacting fuel economy too much (I'm coming from an Escape V6 and loving the cheap fill-ups!) it'd be really welcome!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Didn't someone post specs for the auto being able to handle about 250 HP?
it isn't HP limited, it is Torque limited, there is unofficial documentation out there that limits the ford dry dual clutch at about 260 ft-lbs of torque. Adding a turbo can easily get you into that range at peak torque.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
it isn't HP limited, it is Torque limited, there is unofficial documentation out there that limits the ford dry dual clutch at about 260 ft-lbs of torque. Adding a turbo can easily get you into that range at peak torque.
Which is one of the main reasons behind the Focus ST only coming with a manual transmission. It's expected to exceed 260 ft-lbs or torque right from the factory.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks

The point I was looking to make was that the 6 speed auto can get a pretty significant power increase if that torque spec is correct. Even if you had to limit a turbo kit to a 90 lb ft increase to stay under the torque limit, I'd say that's a substantial increase. I doubt anyone bought a car with an auto with the expectation of adding 150 HP/Trq with boost or n/a for that matter. I think a majority of us would be happy with ~56% gain in power, again staying under the 260 spec.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, here, in the UK, were are already hitting 331ft/lbs with the powershift transmissions on the Mk4 Mondeo 2.2 diesel, that's with 2 tons of car, all they do is torque limit them in the lower gears. Even my mondeo 2.0l diesel with the manual box had to have a torque limiter in 1st and 2nd...
Chris

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
One thing I've noticed about the 2012 Focus, although it has a nice linear power delivery, the car doesn't really get going unless you're at WOT.
A lot of that is related to the throttle mapping which seems to be calibrated for maximum MPG's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The manual says performance will be better with premium fuel, so it may be the computer adjusts the timing to advance more quickly if it doesn't sense any engine knock?
My AC also seems to kick out under hard acceleration and I wondering if it is a declutching type?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Which is one of the main reasons behind the Focus ST only coming with a manual transmission. It's expected to exceed 260 ft-lbs or torque right from the factory.
I thought the ST was also rumoured to come with a double clutch too? I'm sure Ford could tweak the trans to handle the power, or even go with a different unit. I know ST test mules have been driving all over in the area, but I haven't seen what transmission they are running in them.

The manual says performance will be better with premium fuel, so it may be the computer adjusts the timing to advance more quickly if it doesn't sense any engine knock?
My AC also seems to kick out under hard acceleration and I wondering if it is a declutching type?
Premium fuel does add a little bit of performance, and by a little bit I mean just a tad bit better on the highway when you are pulling out to overtake someone.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does anyone have any thoughts on modding this Direct Injected engine with possibly some exhaust headers or camshaft? I'm not sure on whether or not the fact that the car is DI would make a difference/complicate things .. thoughts?

And yes, an ECU/throttle re-map seems like an essential mod for me at this point.. especially when paired with intake and exhaust! The throttle response could definetely be more sensitive.. I would be willing to sacrifice some MPG for it as well. I wonder if an underdrive pulley mod would do some good as well?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts