Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
IIn most cases the front bar is a bit overkill.
I've upgraded front bars (always with a rear upgrade) on 4 different makes of cars and loved it every time...only regret is with some cars a bigger front bar can be dangerously close to cv boots, the boots can rub or tear on the bigger bars endlinks and you get a nice grease bath inside your rims and entire front underbody....not fun to clean that mess [mecry]

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Because I don't want to induce more understeer keeping the stock size wheels... Sailor and other have mentioned that just increasing the rear will help prevent understeer.
I think if the bars are balanced you should be ok...you could always run the kit and see how you like the handling ...try and do a test drive with someone that has the whole kit installed, I bet you will want to run the bigger bar.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong, I'd have to convert to beaverbucks so it could potentially be very expensive for me, but I'm thinking about it.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Personally, with a nice and modest 0.8" drop and a complete package for only about $650, I'm going with the Ford Racing package, but I'm going to wait until the stock shocks start acting up I'm assuming by 80k miles or so.
I'm thinking the same thing.
Though my suspension still feels great at over 83k miles.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Man, I sure hope Ford brings enough of them over that it's not just a rare and expensive bird to drool over...
You and me both..

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm going to leach off this thread, because I have similar interests: I'd like a minimal drop, but stronger springs and struts to address the "float" at high speeds. I'm planning to install a Steeda RSB (which I already bought), but I will want to take it a step further, too...

Has anyone actually tried the Bilstein B8s sold on tirerack.com (which are also sold together with the Eibach Pro-Kit, so they should work well together)? My guess is that they are actually for the 12-13. What's different? Are different mounts needed for 14-15?

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Looks great! Usually its better to upgrade struts at the same time you do the springs so you dont have to tear it all apart again...your stock struts will get bouncier over time and eventually blow

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I'm going to leach off this thread, because I have similar interests: I'd like a minimal drop, but stronger springs and struts to address the "float" at high speeds. I'm planning to install a Steeda RSB (which I already bought), but I will want to take it a step further, too...

Has anyone actually tried the Bilstein B8s sold on tirerack.com (which are also sold together with the Eibach Pro-Kit, so they should work well together)? My guess is that they are actually for the 12-13. What's different? Are different mounts needed for 14-15?
sounds like a good setup to me. i'm still on the fence if i'm going to do the bilstein b8's or koni yellows.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a 12 Ti hatch with the handling pkg & 18" wheels and I also want something more in the handling dept. and like Jburks I don't want to go lower than 1". So I have been looking at Steeda or the 13 ST springs with Koni's.
As an experiment I have installed the rear 13 ST springs, because I can do the rear suspension work myself and the ST springs are very inexpensive!
Observations after a month: The ST springs lowered the rear end nicely for a better balanced stance; the ST's are, in my opinion, not much stiffer than the Ti handling pkg springs, just lower; the rear shocks are under damped on the rebound with either set of springs. So I will be putting Koni's on the rear for the adjust-ability for sure! I don't think that the Ti handling pkg rear shocks would satisfy anyone who's upgrading their suspension.
I think something slightly stiffer than the ST springs would be ideal. Does anyone know if the Steeda's or Eibach's springs are any stiffer than the 13 ST's?
How did the handling overall change from doing just the rear st springs? Did you notice and extra lift and understeer from the front while just the rear was lower or was there more rear end oversteer? Ill probably be doing the same thing this upcoming week so id like to know what pros and cons you noticed driving with st rear springs and stock front suspension

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
How did the handling overall change from doing just the rear st springs? Did you notice and extra lift and understeer from the front while just the rear was lower or was there more rear end oversteer? Ill probably be doing the same thing this upcoming week so id like to know what pros and cons you noticed driving with st rear springs and stock front suspension

I didn't notice any handling changes, but if I drove harder they might surface. Eventually I got bored and curious about what a full set of aftermarket springs would do. So I went with eibach's with the 1" drop and put koni yellows on the rear. The feel is different, not better or worse. The eibach's take their time to fully set in, is the best way I can describe them.
I had to adjust the Koni rears 3 times before I got the rebound where I want it. The rear end is much more controlled over the large bumps and dips! If you haven't done it yet a stiffer rear motor mount helps a surprising amount! I started with the Ford Electric and then went to CFM's adjustable rear mount, with 6 insert in it. Noisy at idle but smooths out nicely at most any speed. However the best handling upgrade in my opinion, and the costliest, is to put in an Torsen style LSD. I have had a MFactory in mine since 10/2015, and I love it. I know "felixthecat" agrees with me!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Focus SE handles excellent.

Bilstein B14 Coil Overs running as high as I can get to clear my driveway (high center)
Whiteline solid rear sway bar 22mm
Pierce Racing Front Lower 2 point brace

I just got new wheels and tires 17x8 +40mm Konig Hypergrams with 235/40r17 Flaken Azenis 615K+ to replace my old 16x7.5 Konig Oversteer with 215/45r16. Will post pics of the completed set up soon.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My Focus SE handles excellent.

Bilstein B14 Coil Overs running as high as I can get to clear my driveway (high center)
Whiteline solid rear sway bar 22mm
Pierce Racing Front Lower 2 point brace

I just got new wheels and tires 17x8 +40mm Konig Hypergrams with 235/40r17 Flaken Azenis 615K+ to replace my old 16x7.5 Konig Oversteer with 215/45r16. Will post pics of the completed set up soon.
Awesome. Would love to see that!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts