Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a question i bought a 2pc focus central underdrive pulley i took it to the shop today to get them installed and the guy was saying the crank looked bigger than the stock 1 and that i needed a belt but i remember what u guys said so i said i didnt need 1 but i need ur opinion the crank and pullies are the same size right and can use the stock belt get back to me asap ok thank my car is waiting at the shop

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just put these one not long ago...and you dont need a new belt and the pulley is definitly smaller than the stock, unless hes a dumb ass and mistaken the water pump pulley for the crank pulley

The one with focus central on it is the crank pulley and the one to the right of it is the water pump pulley...When I first did they install I thought I was going to need a new belt cause it seemed like there was alot of slack, after messing it for a while I relized I was routing the belt wrong.

This should be the correct routing they are doing, just make sure the guy isnt retarded lol.

PS
also make sure he shaves the lip off of the timing belt cover(the bottom where the crank pulley is), other wise youll go through belts like crazy.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol alright thankz whats the third pulley is that needed the 1 all the way on the left

·
Registered
505 Posts
Its an alternator pulley(i actually got the 3 piece set) but I didnt use it cause I would of had to take of the alternator and take my impact to it, but I didnt feel like so I just left it off.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright cool i dont have that lil thing but ok thankz imma print this page out and go slap that person in the face lol talk to you later

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
nickouellettesvt said:
Its an alternator pulley(i actually got the 3 piece set) but I didnt use it cause I would of had to take of the alternator and take my impact to it, but I didnt feel like so I just left it off.

[werd] Ha. That is why I never used the alternator pulley and sold it new to you. It's cool seeing my old stuff on here and someone enjoying it.

And actually, superfly bought my other set of UDPs. [:D] Hope both of you are enjoying them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow thats strange lol but installed and everything is cool thankz guyz

·
Registered
505 Posts
Svtzx555 said:
[werd] Ha. That is why I never used the alternator pulley and sold it new to you. It's cool seeing my old stuff on here and someone enjoying it.

And actually, superfly bought my other set of UDPs. [:D] Hope both of you are enjoying them.
Lol thats f'en great. Yea the alt pulley isnt even really smaller than the stock one, so I said f it. But yea they are in use and I am quite happy with em.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's smaller...hence it "underdrives" the accessories.

·
Registered
426 Posts
So is any pulley in that position called an underdrive pulley? There's something about it that makes the serpetine belt spin slower and size is how it does it.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
jmkreege said:
I'm pretty sure it's smaller...hence it "underdrives" the accessories.

There's something about it that makes the serpetine belt spin slower and size is how it does it.
Well I'm positive that the alternator pulley is the same size. I had the thing in my garage for a couple of months and I've replaced many focus alternators at work. Size is how it underdrives the motor, but the alternator pulley is the same size...only lighter in wieght, as are the other pullies. The crank is smaller and the water pump is bigger in size.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Svtzx555 said:
Well I'm positive that the alternator pulley is the same size. I had the thing in my garage for a couple of months and I've replaced many focus alternators at work. Size is how it underdrives the motor, but the alternator pulley is the same size...only lighter in wieght, as are the other pullies. The crank is smaller and the water pump is bigger in size.

QFT!!![thumb]

·
Registered
426 Posts
I thought we were talking about the crank pulley. Sorry guys

·
Registered
351 Posts
here's a question that might fall into the DUMB category. . .with the 2or3pc underdrive pulley system you speak of, do you notice a substantial drop in AC performance? Or anything else for that matter?

I might be one of the only people on this forum who cares about this, but not having AC for 5 years will do that to you. My vision is also a bit different than most everyone else's as well. Unless your a Focus Enthusiast, you won't notice anything different about my car. Bone Stock look, clean, but one of the fastest NA foci you can possibly have. Form FOLLOWS function, but some of the functions that are important to me are the luxuries that come with having a nicer car. But that's just me. . .

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
superfly092886 said:
hey i have a question i bought a 2pc focus central underdrive pulley i took it to the shop today to get them installed and the guy was saying the crank looked bigger than the stock 1 and that i needed a belt but i remember what u guys said so i said i didnt need 1 but i need ur opinion the crank and pullies are the same size right and can use the stock belt get back to me asap ok thank my car is waiting at the shop
Periods and commas are our friends...let's embrace them!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey i installed mine, and everything works fine just when u use the a/c the car has a lil less power, but isnt it like that anyways.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts