Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have decided to start laying out a plan to get the powerworks SC kit...
and i have a few things that im wondering...
1. i heardd you have to have your trannie beefed up to handle all teh extra power... im thinking about getting an SVT tranny... would that still need upgrading???
2. i plan on getting I/H/E first (i already have an intake) im gonna get Borla catback and the OEM SVT header and cat.. will the SVT tranny interfere at all???
3. i have heard from some of my other car-loving friends that i might need a boost pump for my fuel line to keep the pressure high enough to handle the higher flow injectors and the boost level.. is this true???

thanks in advance, i finally decided to get started on trying to go FI and any other comments and suggestions would help.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just ordered my Powerworks kit. From what I've read the tranny is fine. The clutch needs attention. You'll need more than just the SVT tranny itself for a swap I believe. Not sure about the fuel pump but on PW instruction page in regards to the pump they state if the car 00-02 is used at the Track an 03 fuel pump should be installed and the car will need a new tune. Or maybe you can just do the fuel pump first and they can correct it on the original tune. I'm gonna ask about this option.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Interesting about that fuel pump swap...let us know what you hear. I have a friend who autocrosses his '03 svtf a lot.He swapped in a zx3 Zetec 5 speed as first and second in those trannys are better ratios for his use(he also has a Quaife lsd).He says the two trannys are the same strength.Amazing how much abuse these cars will take.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Your MTX is fine ... can handle plenty of power. A clutch upgrade is recommended if yours is old. The MTX trans ratios actually pull harder than the SVT Getrag ... we prefer the feel of the MTX to the Getrag in our cars.

Your CAI will be replaced with Powerworks parts.

The SVT header/cat (or ORP)/flex and the Borla cat-back will be a good addition. You will also need to change the power steering pressure line though. A Zetec header/high-flow cat (or ORP) and a cat-back system will be nearly as good though.

A Boost-A-Pump is not required. The '03-up fuel pump helps if you do a lot of track running, but isn't mandatory for every day driving.

I <3 my ZX3 ... if you are in Northville, you are only a few miles away from Powerworks HQ in Novi. Let me know if you want to stop by and check anything out or go for a test ride.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
COSDEVSVT said:

You will also need to change the power steering pressure line though.

...??? Why So...?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
^^^^ I believe its rerouted/replaced ... its a clearance thing. You gotta remember they have to pack alot more stuff under the hood.... when compaired to our Turbo's

·
Registered
456 Posts
Has nothing to do with fitting the Powerworks kit ...

The SVT p/s line follows a different path for the SVT header over by the pump. The Zetec line would run into the SVT header.

The SVT p/s line also needs to be re-bent to run over the top of the MTX trans (like a Zetec line). As bent, the SVT p/s line runs around the end of the trans since the Getrag is shorter than the MTX.

If you plan on keeping EGR, you will need to put in a EGR bung into the #3 SVT header pipe too ... SVTs don't have EGR.

There is also some minor SVT exhaust fitting issues and heat shielding that needs to be considered when changing over to SVT exhaust on a regular Zetec.

IMO, unless you already own the SVT parts, stick with the aftermarket Zetec exhaust performance parts. Nearly as good and a direct bolt-on.

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have an ATX altho the guys at powerworks said id be perfectly fine... as long as my trans fluid is good (which it is)
i might just go shorty headers then. i wanted to go long tube, but then i probably wouldn't pass CA emissions ( i plan on going to college out there)

thanks fir the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts