Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove an STI today, few mods, deal came out of nowhere, my Dad actually referred me to it. What sux is there is no way this deal can happen and now driving the Focus I just notice all the problems with it. Not just the speed but the rattle and squeaks. The STI was the same age, mileage, with a harder past and rode better and more solid than my car. AND MINES ALSO SUPPOSED TO HAVE RALLY HERITAGE!? It just kinda hurts that I do the mods and feel like I'm getting nowhere. And yes i still appreiciate the SVT, I'm not saying I dont it just kinda sux some days to know what better stuff is out there. Sorry for the rant just had to vent

·
Registered
504 Posts
well man all i can say is that the st 170 was a let-down in europe as well... but you cant compare a near $30k american car to an sti, just doesnt work that way. lifes a bitch and then you marry one.

f.y.i. id much rather get an sti than a stang.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
dude your comparing a $17,000 sport compact car to a $35,000 sport compact car. go test drive a 5 year old carolla or jetta and you will feel much better.

·
Jetsetter
6,654 Posts
yeah man your comparing apples to oranges, you gotta compare apples to apples

·
Registered
347 Posts
sometimes i feel the same way. working for a Mitsubishi dealer, every EVO that comes to the door i take. i drive them for at least 20 mins, and it gives me a chance to appreciate what that car is capable of doing. yea, its got stock AWD and a twin scroll turbo. so what it comes stock with racaro seats that i drool over, so what that it can fit 4 comfortably, id rather have my SVT at times. other times i wouldn't mind taking an EVO off the show room floor, there's a 5 speed, URO body kit silver one, and a red EVO MR, with the 6 speed twin clutch auto trans with the flappy paddle shifters on the column. then i look at it and say, hey, i only spent 7k on my SVT, instead of 38-45k on an EVO.

I love my SVT.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Man, it's too bad you didn't get your SVTF new, all the times mine was in the shop getting all kinds of TSBs fixed, I got to drive lots of other cars, most notibly:

Aveo, Neon, Aerio, Cavalier, Rio, Echo, Spectra, and other cars that make my SVT look like THE STUFF.

Yeah, you spend an extra 50%-70% on a car, it's probably going to be a bit better.

Still, go drive a four year old Aveo and see how your SVTF looks after that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i also worked at an AUDI, VW shop back in the day b4 my SVT came into the picture, so from driving old a$$ beaten up VW's and AUDI's, i know what i have now is the stuff compared to those things. i worked on dodges for a long time, so i know what the "neon" is all about. pile's of shizzzzaaaa along with evertything else you listed. so although your right that the more you spend on a "sport's/sport compact" car, the more you get. but wheres the fun in that???? i buy my cars to build my cars. so thats what i plan to do.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
this is like saying "damn, my 2004 cadillac deville just sucks compared to the 08 bentley i just test drove"

·
bow chicka wow wow
4,051 Posts
haha nice one^^^

Yea STI's are nice.. but dont they have TONS of tranny problems?? Definately wouldnt want to run into that..

Hey, I couldnt drive the SVT for a few days due to the gas shortage (yes.. ga sucks and people are crazy and we have no gas here).. anyways.. I had to drive the Honda Fit for a few days.. and wow.. OMG.. I was ECSTATIC when I finally found gas. BIG difference.. but thats what you get when you go from an SVT.. to a extra minature mini van with no power whatsoever. O.. and screw paddle shifters...lame.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had to smog a neon srt-4 ( turbo'd with a few upgrades). Now it wasn't the fastest thing I've driven, it was peppy and quick, but that is what I would have loved ford to do with the SVT focus in the first place. It would have been a huge success. As to comparing a focus to an EVO or an STI- well add $10-20K to your focus and then compare the other 2 to it.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Personally, I think you have a WAY MORE ORIGINAL car than an STI. No doubt that the STI's are cool cars and they are fast, but I see them all over the place. Every "yo" turned "boy racer" has bought one and personally, they are starting to get played out.

I just recently attended a Rally America event in Steamboat Springs, CO...there were so many STI's and WRX's that I wanted to puke. It was so refreshing when I met the guy who drove the 000 car and guess what it was..... a red SVT on coilovers ! The guy rally-x's the car to boot.

So, how about trying your hand at adding FI to your set up? I think you will start to look at your car in a whole new light. I have seen SVT's running better times on the autoX track than STI's and EVO's and it's freaking awesome, lol.

BUILT NOT BOUGHT, my man. It's too easy to buy a fast car. Way more respectable to BUILD a fast car.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Personally, I think you have a WAY MORE ORIGINAL car than an STI. No doubt that the STI's are cool cars and they are fast, but I see them all over the place. Every "yo" turned "boy racer" has bought one and personally, they are starting to get played out.

I just recently attended a Rally America event in Steamboat Springs, CO...there were so many STI's and WRX's that I wanted to puke. It was so refreshing when I met the guy who drove the 000 car and guess what it was..... a red SVT on coilovers ! The guy rally-x's the car to boot.

So, how about trying your hand at adding FI to your set up? I think you will start to look at your car in a whole new light. I have seen SVT's running better times on the autoX track than STI's and EVO's and it's freaking awesome, lol.

BUILT NOT BOUGHT, my man. It's too easy to buy a fast car. Way more respectable to BUILD a fast car.
Amen brotha, amen. WRXs and STis are commonplace these days. And whats sad is, as youve pointed out, that most end up in the hands of boy racers. Id rather have an SVT any day over an STi for several reasons: 1) theyre unique, not every brother's mother has one. 2) theyre better looking (especially compared to the current STi). 3) Cheaper to insure. Sure the SVT doesnt have a turbo, AWD, etc, but I think the SVT is just a more special car. Comparing the 2 is difficult as theyre polar opposites, but the SVT stands out. To me, the STi doesnt.

·
Registered
347 Posts
like you said, the new STI's are ugly as sin, its like an over sized turbo AWD shoe. i also agree wih the fact that there unique. mines got pepp to it, and i love the way she drives. also, from driving STI's and whatnots, i think the SVT is much more comfy and roomy than the STI.

SVT all the way!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hmm. Less rattles and squeaks? Ever hear a rally car from the inside? That's what it's supposed to sound like. That's your rally heritage right there.
Also, pre-requisites for owning an STi are overly-large shades, a visor (preferably upside down at an angle), flip-flops in all weather, a snowboard you brag to be able to ride but really fail hard, nothing but permanently-popped collared shirts (all with horizontal striping), spiky hair, an all-Dave Matthews Band music collection, and must, must, MUST call everyone, male or female, "Bro."
Unless you meet ALL of these requirements, then you will NOT fit in with other STi drivers.
If you DO meet those requirements, then have fun (and good riddance :p).

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Hmm. Less rattles and squeaks? Ever hear a rally car from the inside? That's what it's supposed to sound like. That's your rally heritage right there.
Also, pre-requisites for owning an STi are overly-large shades, a visor (preferably upside down at an angle), flip-flops in all weather, a snowboard you brag to be able to ride but really fail hard, nothing but permanently-popped collared shirts (all with horizontal striping), spiky hair, an all-Dave Matthews Band music collection, and must, must, MUST call everyone, male or female, "Bro."
Unless you meet ALL of these requirements, then you will NOT fit in with other STi drivers.
You forgot that in order to fit in with most STi drivers, you need to not only do all the aformentioned things, but also take it up the rear on a nightly basis.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This comment is Full of WIN!!! You just single handedly drove me to keep the Focus

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
The SVT is UNIQUE...

MORE than reasonably priced and respectable in performance givenwhat you have (stock) to work with.

In terms of practical application, the SVT does lack some of the OOOMPH of a higher HP car like an STI, butat the same time, you canget NEAR equal performance given the right environment.

Not just the SVT, but Cooper S, Cobalts, and even Civics can hold there own with the right driver.

When you look at an AX or track environment (my experience), you can be just as competitive in a stock SVT as any Porsche 911, Boxter, STI, Mustang or other higher HP car and STILL drive it home without huge maintenance and upkeep costs.

Of course, there are trade-offs, but as was mentioned, you are not comparing apples to oranges...

It's more like comparing Apples to Sequioas...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts