Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my ZX3 rebuilt after an unfortunate granading incident, and a five-speed meltdown... and an MT285 found it's way into my ride. We used Redline 75w90 and I've run it through a couple of years of autocrossing since... I'm getting ready to hit up the fluid exchangers and it occurred to me I haven't ever had to look up the OEM gear oil; what goes in there, a Ford brand 75w90?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Most all manual trans now days and all fords as far as i know from the factory use mercron automatic trans fluid.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd go with either Royal Purple's Synchromax or Redline. I couldn't tell a difference between the two.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd go with either Royal Purple's Synchromax or Redline. I couldn't tell a difference between the two.
Color... that's, most likely, the only difference. I'm gonna break out the factory manual and see what's in there. A friend of mine (that's already working in a Ford shop) tells me there's a separate fluid for the SVT focus trans... I should have pictures and more answers after I get outta work.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I use red line MTL, in one of the many tranny fluid threads it was considered one of the best oils for it since its what's recommend for the mini cooper S which has the same tranny, I had royal purple, then mobil 1 75-90, and ended up with red line, it was the smoothest out of all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts