Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, well it has been some time since I have been around here, My SVT has been holding up great, just got the timing belt replaced because that is what I heard to do when I get to 100k, went well, but the other day my check engine light came on, I brought it back to the dealer, they did a check, It is one of my o2 sensors have failed, they quoted me $200 for the part and installation, so is that something i can do for cheaper or should i go with them? next finding oil on my drivers side floor mat, I have a leak in my master cylinder for my clutch, not my brakes, but clutch, anyways how hard is that to replace they quoted me $400 for the replacement of that. any input would be great. here is the latest pic of my car:

Thanks!
Jon

·
Registered
835 Posts
The O2 you can for sure do yourself, the sensor is only around $70(get the bosch one), and can be done in I would say 15 minutes with the right tools...
Clutch master cylinder I have no clue. It is something on my to do list aswell...
Here is the How-To for the master cylinder replacement clicky...

Oh and by the way the car looks good!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
^^^^^ What he said. I went to Autozone and borrowed the correct tool for the O2 sensor. It's basically a ratchet attachment that has a slit in one side so the wire can fit through it and it made it really easy. I think it cost $20 for the set of different sizes and you get he money back when you return it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Clutch master cylinder is fairly simple, but you have to "pretzel" your way into the cabin up behind the dash to replace it, unless you are pretty limber (sp?), i'd recommend the dealer doing it....just to be on the safe side....

But the o2 is fairly easy, you could do that yourself with a correct tool as mentioned above and a jack and some jack stands in the driveway...

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
The O2 sensor is less then $50 at Pepboys/Autozone and I've heard bad things about the Bosch brand. Just get the stock Motorcraft ones.

I've been needing to change out my master cylinder too but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm already on my second bottle of brake fluid from having to fill it up every time it gets too low. Dirty shoes and floor mat is the result. Has your cover came off your pedal? That's how I knew mine was bad when my clutch pedal cover came off while driving and I almost crashed [mad]

BTW: Beautiful car. That is cleeean!

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Great picture!

You will ultimately need to replace your floormat and steam clean the carpet, too. The brake fluid deteriorates the rubber backing on the floormat. It's not an easy job, but it's not horrible.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ya i heard dont get bosch! They dont agree with out cars i guess. And some person said it didnt fit in his even. I got my OEM for 40. I wouldnt pay 200 for it ever!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok guys, thanks for advice, Well I will be doing the o2 sensor myself and I will see what parts I have to get from mike to do the clutch cylinder.

Thanks again.

Jon

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
i dont know how much mike charges for the master cylider, but i just got 1 from napa and i paid 100, 20 of it is a core charge , 5 for shipped (didnt have it in stock) + it has a life time warranty.... we all know we are gunna repalce it at lease twice.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
i dont know how much mike charges for the master cylider, but i just got 1 from napa and i paid 100, 20 of it is a core charge , 5 for shipped (didnt have it in stock) + it has a life time warranty.... we all know we are gunna repalce it at lease twice.
If I remember correctly, Mike can get it for almost half that price?.....

He quoted me a price either in a thread or either PM, I can't remember but when I get the money and time, I'm purchasing one through him.

·
Registered
23 Posts
All you need for the 02 sensor is the right size wrench and a propane torch. You heat the base around the 02 sensor and then its easy to twist out the sensor.

Also you should put some anti-seize or something onto the threads of the 02 sensor. It might help if you ever need to remove it again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts