Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two differnt keys. On each tire I have one key that fits 3 lugs and 1 key that fits one. Im missing the key that takes the 1 lug off. I might have left my one of the keys in my apartment at college. I'm having one of my roomates call me back when he gets in apartment to check. Say if this falls through, what options do I have to get the lug off? The lug that I need to take off is smooth on the outside so there is no way to grip it.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Was that the one that came with the wheel on your car? If it is call wherever you bought the wheels from and get another key. Or get ahold of the manufacturer of the wheel if it is in fact the one that goes with the wheel. Tire rack is usually pretty good about doing stuff like that.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
probably try and break the stud loose.

I'm sure there is a better way....but a new stud is like $6. It'll be key not to damage the rim though.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No its not from wheel. I ordered the locking key set from newedgeperformance.com or what ever that website is. Ya Im pretty sure I can break it off with needle nose pliers if I really had to.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found out the company that makes them. Its McGard, so im thinking i have better chance contacting them. I will be giving them a call tommorow. Has anybody else heard of someone having this problem

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
newedgeperformance is a great company. the guy is very nice and understanding. he should be able to do something for you!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
My socket that came with my lug nuts split open. I had to smash on a socket a little smaller to get them off. I had to do it 16 times though. The lugs got stuck in the socket on every one of them.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have the McGard kit, and mine came with a little tote for the keys and a sticker code to put in your car. The code is so they can get you another lug key if you lose it. You may wanna consider keeping them in the glove box with the sticker, especially if you have to change the wheel on the road. It's what I do.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well I don't think it fits my lug, but the Gator Grip as seen on tv socket fit on something I had that had a specific locking type nut! Maybe find something similar?

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are kits you can buy to remove a locking lug-nut. I bought one years ago for about $30. May be a bit pricey for what is hopefully a one-time thing. A buddy of mine used a carbide cutting wheel on a dremel tool to carve the edges off of one so he could hammer an impact socket (they don't shatter like a regular socket will) on and remove it that way. The socket was useless after that but it's a cheaper solution. Hope that helps

jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts