Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to put some more lighter wells in my car, only have one 12v plug sucks, but i want it to light up blue and stuff. not having any luck finding these, anyone done anything similar?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
What are you doing that needs so many plugs? The lighter plugs are so big, ide think you could do something a little better.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
id just prefer to have more than just the one in the front, so i can charge my phone while running the gps, or if i need to charge my laptop while im on the go. i was thinking of adding to plugs in the back, found a good spot for them. do you know where i can find like some blue illuminated plugs?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I dont, but i was thinking you could tap into an extra spot on your fuse box and then run something down under the climate controls with just the cable you need.

My brother got me one that has a blue power light but it outputs to 2 USB he got one for my nephew that plugs into the the single lighter port and goes to 3 but its so big it looks silly.

It wouldnt be bad i guess if you built a panel or something and put it down in that little space under the climate controls with the 3 ports.

Ide get something like this: search car cigarette lighter power splitter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Power-Splitter-USB-Charger-/180734232062?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a149985fe#ht_500wt_950

But ide drill a small hole in the back of that little space under the climate controls and run the wire over to an unused fuse on your fuse box so its on its own line from the stock cigarette plug.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
putting them on the sides of the center console was a spot i had considered. is there alot of open space under the HVAC?

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,212 Posts
The SVT comes with a port on the center console on the passenger side, if you put it there it would look stockish.

The space under the HVAC is hollow so it should work if you wanted.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Or just get an SVT center console... the lighter well will already be there just waiting to be plugged in. It won't light up, though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i ordered some wells that light up. the only place i could find BLUE illuminated wells was in the freaking UK, so i bought 3 to make it worth the shipping, $23 dollars later and theyre on there way. ill post pics once i get them put in

·
Registered
327 Posts
i ordered some wells that light up. the only place i could find BLUE illuminated wells was in the freaking UK, so i bought 3 to make it worth the shipping, $23 dollars later and theyre on there way. ill post pics once i get them put in
Wow, still haven't arrived?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it took them awhile but they arrived long ago. Ive yet to put them in, but ive tinkered with them here and there. They need some work because they were designed poorly. The light isnt bright enough to penetrate the thick plastic very well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I got one since then also, the hole is too large for any 12v accessory plug. It's strictly a lighter.
Friend, can you please explain more clearly? What hole is too large????? Are you saying: 1) the lit socket hole is too large for a standard cigarette accessory plug or 2) the socket hole you need to drill in your console is larger than normal due to the colored plastic ring or 3) the existing SVT socket hole is too big to fit this accessory socket or 4) Is the lighter that comes with this lit assembly has a non-standard diameter so no aftermarket plug will fit it??????????????????????

As far as the light being dim, I don't want any bright lights in my interior to distract me during the night. It's just lit so you can find the socket hole in pitch dark.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,212 Posts
^^^ No need to get all worked up lol! The lighter is a very large diameter, the biggest I've ever seen, so any charger you put in is loose as hell. I could've tried to mod it to make a hybrid socket from the stock one, but I just put the stock black ones in.

·
Registered
327 Posts
^^^ No need to get all worked up lol! The lighter is a very large diameter, the biggest I've ever seen, so any charger you put in is loose as hell. I could've tried to mod it to make a hybrid socket from the stock one, but I just put the stock black ones in.
I had just ordered two when I saw your post...was hoping to poke a quick reply from you in time to cancel. So much for that. I thought perhaps you were talking bout the mounting hole which would be oversize due to the light ring.

Too late now, so time will tell if I flushed $20. I find it weird that a mfr would design a non-standard barrel diameter when it's not seen as patent enfringement.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,212 Posts
There is a inner sleeve in the stock lighter, I grinded the little rivet off the back of the stock lighter to take it apart. I put the sleeve in the blue socket barrel and it fit, I never went beyond that point. I think it can be modded if you put in the work, but I just went plain black.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Austin, you can get a plug that works both your phone and gps, which is what I used to solve this problem. I also added a lighted plug to the rear of my euro console, so there is a third one back there if needed.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was really disapointed with these. Ill attempt to use them as i add more power outlets to my car. but these sucked for what i paid for them. Oh well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I guess we're confused by is it a lighter socket or a 12V outlet. Pontiac's in the 70's and 1980's had an illuminated lighter socket, when you removed the lighter. Places like Radio Shack have a I think,, its a 3 plug adapter. It looks like crap, sorry. Chris

1 - 19 of 19 Posts