Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just the other day I realized smoking in the Focus at night is an art unto it's self. The ashtray is practically invisible, hidden in the shadows from me. So when I try to ash it is an intense moment of my clumisly groping about for the tray. The most obvious solution to this is to install an LED or LEDs perhaps. I am just wondering if anyone here has done it, heard of it done or better yet, has photos of such a mod. Also, can anyone think of any possible dangers this coud pose? I only use the tray for ashing, I through the butts and et cetera out the window. I am not sure if that counts for anything but I figured I'd mention it. Thanks.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
The best thing to do... would be to quit smoking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never thought about that option! Heh, I know smoking is a horrible habit but this thread isn't about smoking. This thread is for speculation of the possibility of illuminating an ashtray. Furthermore, I would do my friends, passengers and myself a favor by creating a more visible tray. It helps friends and passengers ash with ease and keeps me from vacuuming my cara few times a week.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
^matt knows his glow, he'll hook ya up, just get a halo ring and attach it around where the metal is and hook it up to a powersource, or even to the headlight switch

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I've seen ppl run LED's hooked up to the lights so when it's dark and you got your lights on the ashtray is lit up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am wondering if anyone happens to know if there is enough space to cram in an LED behind the actual tray. Not mounted on the tray but on the back wall of the recess where the tray goes. So when you remove the tray you don't pull out all your wiring and LED. If there is space I am thinking that installing an acrylic window in the ashtray to allow light from the LED to pass though. Any thoughts?

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
The Ashtray switchpanel I have is mounted directly in the tray... we made sure the wires were long enough and just drilled a hole in the back of the actual tray to thread them through. When we pull it out all the way, there is still plenty of slack.

But I guess you have to remove the tray in order to dump it out.

So......... I dunno... I'm stumped. It would be mUCH easier to just mount the light to the tray itself... but it would make it harder to clean.....

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Why not just when you drill the hole in the back put a little rubber seal around the hole, you can easily hook the LED back up by pushing it back into the rubber seal, when you take it out you can just pop it off. Just make the wire a little longer.

·
Registered
341 Posts
As you can well guess I also am a smoker, but not in the Focus as my JRT Lil' Bits is a nonsmoker and it makes her eyes water. Hell I even quit smoking in the house. [:D]

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Some Foci have the 'smokers package' where the 'coin tray' was turned into an ashtray.

In my car, its known as the 'switch panel holder'

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
In my car, its known as the bouncy ball holder. My little girls get ahold of them and toss them all over the place.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
hmm...I gotta get a red light in there.....thanks for the idea people [thumb]

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
^^^^^^

Post up pics! heeh.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
ok, this is what you do, you'll have to do, go get a non-smoker package ashtray (easly found at a junk yard) and don't forget the plastic peice that fits inteh dash jsut above the "tray" then put that in and pop some LED"S into the top of the plastic cover that stays in the dash. hood the LED's power directly into the cigarette lighter's power on the back of the cigarette lighter "base" (?)

then stop using that as an ashtray and flip the ashes out the window..

hi, i'm jaimz and i'm a smoker.. but i've never used my ash tray

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Jaimz strikes again!

This man KNOWS what he is talking about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts